Always Your Hero - Steve Harrington

Possible Trigger Warning: violence, attempted assault

The day started like any other day, but as things progressed, it got worse. Halfway through my shift, the lights went off.

"What the. . ." I mumbled.

"What happened?" Steve asked as he ran out from the back kitchen. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I chuckled. I sighed when I saw him run over to the control panel. "What are you doing?"

"I'm fixing this," he said slowly.

"Since when are you an electrician?" I teased. He sent me a glare, making me laugh. "Steve, relax. The power is out in the whole mall. Someone will get it back on."

Steve started flipping the light switch on and off. "What are you doing?" I sighed.

He just smiled as he continued to do so. I cleared my throat and rolled my eyes when the lights turned back on. He smirked at me proudly but I didn't change my expression.

"Let there be light."

"Wow," I said sarcastically. "How amazing that you flipping the light switch on and off like a maniac fixed the power in the whole mall?! You're a miracle worker, Steve Harrington."

"And don't you forget it," he smirked proudly.

"Or," I elongated, "someone went down to the maintenance closet and flipped all the breakers."

"Kill joy," he scoffed as he walked into the back.

"And don't you forget it!" I yelled over my shoulder.

I couldn't help but smile when I heard him dramatically fake laugh. When we didn't have any customers, I decided to use the time to clean some of the booths. I was slightly leaning over the table so I could reach the edge next to the wall when all of a sudden I felt two hands on my hips.

"Hey, sexy," the creep purred.

"Get off of me," I demanded. I tried to pry him off, but he tightened his grip. "Seriously! Get off!"

"Hey!"

I gasped when the guy was ripped off of me. I turned around to see Steve standing protectively in front of me.

"Don't ever touch her like that again," he said, his voice deep and menacing.

"Or what?" The guy taunted.

"Steve," I stuttered, under my breath. Without turning around, he reached behind him and grabbed my hand. I didn't fight him when he pulled me closer.

"Leave," he demanded. "Now."

I held my breath until the guy a little older than Steve and I left the shop. The second he was gone, Steve turned around and gently grabbed my hands.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his voice soft and completely different than how it was when he was talking to that guy.

"Yeah," I said shakily. "Thanks to you."

My last comment made him let out a small chuckle. Suddenly, his smile dropped. "Are you sure you're alright?" He asked.

"I am," I said, not sounding as confident as I hoped.

"Look," he said gently, "it's okay if you're not. In fact, why don't you head home? I can cover for you. Thursday's are never that busy."

"I'm fine," I said, pulling my hands out of his.

Without another word, I went back to work. Throughout the rest of our shift, I could feel Steve watching me. When he wasn't watching me, he was keeping his eyes on the crowd outside the shop. My stomach flipped when I realized he was watching for that guy.