Late-Night Visitor - Gator Tillman

Gator's POV

I drove home after an incredibly long shift. I pulled in front of the house and leaned my head against the headrest. When I opened my eyes, I saw someone moving around the house.

No one should be in the house. Dad is still at the station.

I instantly grabbed my shotgun out of the backseat and slowly got out of the car. With my gun pointed at the front door, I slowly inched closer.

"Hey!" I yelled. "This is the police. Come out with your hands up."

I held my breath as I waited for movement. I tightened my hold on the gun as whoever was inside our house slowly walked towards the door. I tried to steady my breathing as the door opened.

"It's just me, Gator."

My heart bungee jumped into my stomach when I saw Y/N slowly walking out of the front door with her hands up. When I noticed her hands were shaking, I threw my gun to the ground and ran toward her.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N," I said as I wrapped my arms around her. "I didn't know you were. . ."

I froze when I leaned back and saw the bruise on her face. "Y/N!" I gasped. I grabbed her hand, wrapped my other arm around her waist, and quickly pulled her inside. Y/N and I have known each other since elementary school. I've had a crush on her since middle school and have never had the nerve to tell her how I felt.

I pulled her upstairs and led her into my bathroom. Neither one of us said anything as I grabbed her hips and gently placed her on my bathroom counter.

I grabbed the first aid kit from under the sink and started cleaning her up. Luckily, Y/N wasn't bleeding. I used a rag and cleaned her face anyway. Without saying anything to her, I jogged downstairs and grabbed an ice pack from the fridge.

When I ran back to my room with the ice pack, Y/N wasn't in the bathroom anymore. Instead, she was on my bed with her legs criss-crossed.

"You okay?" I asked, my voice softer than I had meant it to come out.

"I'm fine," she whispered. I didn't believe her but I didn't say anything. Instead, I sat next to her and gently spun her toward me. She smiled weakly at me as I carefully pressed the ice pack to her face.

I smiled when Y/N's eyes fluttered closed. I gently grabbed her and leaned her against the headboard. The second she was cuddled into my chest, I pressed the ice pack back to her face.

"Thanks, Gator," she whispered.

"Of course," I whispered. "That's what best friends are for."

We sat like that for a few more minutes before I had to ask her what happened to her.

"Y/N," I whispered.

"I don't want to talk about it," she cut me off. My heart sank when her voice broke as she said, "Please, Gator."

"But. . ."

"I really need my best friend right now," she said, her voice still soft. "Not a police deputy."

"Okay," I said, not liking it but pretending I did. "Are you hungry?"

"No," Y/N whispered.

"Alright," I said, trying to think of something we could do until Y/N was ready to talk about what happened tonight. "We could watch a movie downstairs."

"That could be fun," she said, a little bit of her normal cheery voice coming back.

"And then I want you to stay here tonight."