Underneath The Tree - Joe Keery

The only thing worse than being alone for Christmas was being alone and sick for Christmas. I pulled the blanket up closer to my chin as Jimmy Fallon introduced his next guest, Joe Keery.

Joe and I have known each other for several years. We met when he was filming Free Guy. I worked in the Starbucks cafe Amazon had on set. It started with Joe stopping by every couple of days. He then started stopping by every morning. This turned into him coming in every morning and before he left every day.

After months of him stopping by, he finally asked me on a date. We dated on the DL because we weren't sure how his director would react to us dating. We've been official ever since Free Guy came out. Six months ago, Joe and I decided to move in together. We thought it would help our relationship since Joe's always gone for work.

I smiled, ignoring the fever as I watched Jimmy interview my man. He was a natural. He answered Jimmy's questions while being respectful and funny. He was perfect. It's no wonder girls all over the world were in love with my boyfriend.

"So, tell me how things are going with Y/N," Jimmy said, shifting the conversation to Joe's personal life. "Still going strong?"

"Of course," Joe chuckled.

Behind his professional actor smile, I could see a slight blush building. He never minded talking about his job, but he was hesitant to talk about me and our relationship. He didn't want to accidentally share too much. The last thing he wanted was to share information about us that made me uncomfortable.

"Come on, Joe," Jimmy teased. "Give us some details. You two have been dating for, what? Two years?"

"About a year and a half," Joe corrected politely.

"And?" Jimmy elongated.

"And things are going great," Joe chuckled. "Y/N is amazing and she makes me incredibly happy."

"That's wonderful," Jimmy cooed. "You two live together, right?"

"Yep," he said shifting in his seat. This conversation tended to make him a little uncomfortable. Some people thought moving in after one year was too soon. We received some backlash when it leaked. Ever since then, Joe's hated interviewers talking about our living situation.

"Once we got to the one-year mark, we decided to move in together," he continued. He quickly added, "I'm gone a lot for work and we would sometimes go weeks without seeing each other. We figured that moving in together would allow us to see each other more."

"Has it?"

"It has," Joe said, relaxing. "I get to see her every day I'm home. She's the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I go to bed. It's perfect."

"Well," Jimmy chuckled, "it sounds like the two of you are really in love."

"We are," Joe said. My breath got caught in my throat when he looked at the camera and smiled.

I don't know who the musical guest was. I fell asleep after Joe finished his interview. I woke up about an hour later to my phone ringing. Without getting up, I grabbed it off the coffee table and answered it.

"Merry Christmas Eve Eve, Joe."

"Crap," Joe said into the phone.

"Hello to you too," I chuckled as I slowly sat up.

"I didn't mean to wake you up, baby," he sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I said as I slowly sat up. The movement of me sitting up sent me into a coughing attack. I pulled the phone away from my ear and tried to cover it. When I finally calmed down, I put the phone back to my ear.