Urgent Conversations - Keys

I walked into Soonami's offices with my arms tightly wrapped around myself. As I walked through the cubicles, no one paid any attention to me. My heart jumped into my throat when I heard him arguing with Mouser.

"And that was the heartbreaking story of Blue Shirt Guy," I heard Mouser cheer. "The end."

I know more about Soonami and Free City than I should. That's what happens when you are dating Keys. He comes to your place after work and vents about Mouser and Antwon and the stupid shooter game he works for.

"Doesn't make sense," Keys mumbled. Any confidence I felt when I first arrived disappeared as they started walking toward me. I stopped walking and ducked into a random hallway as they walked past me, toward the employee lounge.

"What?"

"I just checked the server stats," he continued. "We killed Blue Shirt and the number of players online didn't change.

"It's just a glitch, man," Mouser said, unphased. "It's not a big deal."

"I know, I know," he sighed. "It just seems like that's something new, you know?"

"Keys, I know what you're thinking, okay?" Mouser cut him off. "You should not talk to Antwan."

"I just think it's important to be transparent, okay?" Keys defended himself as they walked into the employee lounge. It was this giant glass box in the middle of the office, so I could still hear them without a problem.

"No," Mouser said instantly. "Antwan is deep in the sequel launch. He's either not gonna care or he's gonna get pissed and then he's gonna blame us. So, I don't know what you haven't figured out about the whole situation. Also, aren't you some kinda MIT genius, indie game designer? What are you doing down here dealing with complaints?"

"That, Mouser is a long and pathetic story involving failed dreams, desperation, and a mountain of college debt. You do not wanna hear about that."

"You're absolutely right," Mouser smirked. "That story sounds horrible and boring and full of white privilege. Don't talk to Antwan."

Mouser froze when he saw me. The smirk on his face made my stomach sink. "Umm. . . Keys?"

"What?" He sighed, his back facing me.

"I think someone is here to see you." 

Keys turned to look at him but saw me over Mouser's shoulder. My heart jumped into my throat as I lifted my arm and slowly waved. 

Keys eyes widened as he quickly put his coffee cup down and ran out of the employee lounge, toward me.

"Hey, you," I smiled weakly. I gasped when Keys grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the office.

"Baby, what are you doing here?" He asked once we had gotten to the elevators.

"I thought we could go to lunch," I said, slightly caught off-guard by his reaction.

"Y/N, you know I love going to lunch with you, but I can't," he said. "And I'm sorry, but you need to leave."

"But. . ."

"I could get in trouble," he sighed. "Antwan is really weird about guests in the office. I could get fired."

"Keys. . ."

"Please, Y/N, go home," he pushed. "I need to get back to work, okay?"

"Can we at least go get a coffee?" I asked.

"I can't, Y/N. You know how weird Antwan is."

"But. . . I really need to talk to you, Keys," I forced out.