Little Stevie's In Love - Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

"Hey, Steve."

I looked over my shoulder to see Y/N, my neighbor, jogging toward me. Y/N was one of those people who others didn't realize how wonderful she was. Sure, she was quiet and a little shy. But if she really knows you, she's completely open.

I once asked her why she was shy around the other kids at school, but normal around me. She shrugged and said there was no reason to open up to a bunch of fake people. She said I wasn't fake, but the truth was, I am. Only she knows the real me.

"What's up, Y/N?" I asked as I shoved my hands into my back pockets. I smiled when she started to nervously ramble.

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor," she started. "Well, you wouldn't be doing the favor, per se. It would just be lending me something. I know this is precious to you and. . ."

"Y/N," I laughed as I gently cut her off. "What do you need?"

"I was wondering if I could borrow your car to take my parents to the airport tomorrow."

"Of course," I said, but she continued to ramble.

"I know that a car is a guy's, like, sacred place and your geeky neighbor taking her parents to the airport in it is not exactly what it's supposed to be for but. . ."

"Y/N," I cut her off as I gently grabbed her arm. She instantly bit her bottom lip–a habit she's always had. "First of all, breathe. Second, you are not a geek."

"I'm a theater weirdo," she interrupted.

"You've stared in every play our school's put on since freshman year," I laughed as I forced myself to let her go. "That doesn't make you a 'weirdo'. That makes you awesome."

We stared at each other for a few beats of silence before I cleared my throat. "And third, of course, you can borrow my car. You're about the only person I let drive it, other than me."

"Thank you so much," she sighed, relieved. "You just saved the day."

I blushed when she jumped up and kissed my cheek. I cleared my throat as she walked away.

"Glad I could help," I mumbled long after she left.

* * * * *

I was walking to my car when I heard Y/N's voice call out my name. I turned around to see her jogging toward me. The second she got to me, she jumped into my arms, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Y/N," I said in a sing-songy. "Are you okay? Did the theater kids join the potheads during lunch today?"

"What?" She giggled as she let go of me. "No, I didn't smoke anything with the potheads at lunch. That crap ruins my vocal cords."

"Then what made you so cheery?" I teased.

"I just wanted to say thank you for letting me borrow your car," she said, her voice serious.

"It was just a car," I chuckled. "Not like I gave you a kidney or something."

"I know," she shrugged, her face burning red. "But still, it meant a lot. To me and my parents."