Ex's and Oh's - Steve Harrington

Have you ever broken up with someone and been forced to see them every day?

It sucks.

The worst part of it is my ex used to be my best friend.

Steve Harrington and I have been best friends since elementary school. I moved in a few months after school started so, naturally, I didn't make any friends. One day at recess, some kids were picking on me. Steve heard them and stood up for me. We were inseparable after that.

We didn't start dating until the beginning of our senior year. The night before school started, Steve, Tommy, Carol, and I were at an "End of Summer" party at Steve's teammate's house. That night, we were all drinking and having fun. But then someone suggested a game of Seven Minutes of Heaven. And, of course, Steve and I got picked.

~ • ~

"We don't have to do anything," I stuttered with my arms wrapped tightly around myself. I kept my eyes on my feet, unable to see the drunken empty eyes of my best friend.

"Y/N," Steve whispered. I hummed in response but didn't move. "Y/N, please, look at me."

I took a shaky breath and slowly looked up at him. The minute my eyes landed on his, Steve wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his chest. Without saying anything, Steve leaned down and gently pressed his lips to mine.

My heart was beating against my chest. I couldn't believe that Steve was actually kissing me.

Did it mean something to him?

Was it more than just the game?

Could he actually have feelings for me?

My brain continued to ask all kinds of questions I would never know the answers to without asking him. When I couldn't handle the frustration, I took it out on Steve and finally started kissing him back.

As soon as I started moving my lips against his, Steve deepened the kiss. Our lips moved roughly against each other as we clutched onto each other. We slowly broke the kiss when someone knocked on the door.

"Guess our time is up," I said, out of breath. Steve leaned his forehead against mine and slightly rubbed our noses together.

"Guess so."

~ • ~

The next day, I acted like nothing happened. That was the plan anyway. At lunch, I was walking to our usual table when Steve grabbed me and pulled me out into the quad. He didn't say anything. Instead, he kissed me. When we broke the kiss, he confessed to having feelings for me and wanting to be more than friends. I confessed to wanting that too.

Things were going great. We made it three months before things started to change. And it didn't change over a certain amount of time. It changed after one weekend.

My parents went out of town so Steve and I decided to spend the weekend at my house together. Saturday we laid on the couch and watched TV all day. But that night, we got into my dad's beer and our make-out session went a little too far.

After a lot of kissing and even more questions from Steve making sure I wanted to do this, Steve and I slept together. It was an amazing night. It was my perfect first time.

The next morning, I woke up to Steve's arms wrapped around me. I didn't bother to move. I never wanted to leave his embrace. About half an hour later, Steve kissed my shoulder. We stayed in bed for most of the morning. We only got out of bed to briefly get dressed and make some lunch. Then we returned to each other's arms on the couch. Sadly, he couldn't stay all day. My parents were going to be home around dinner, so Steve left right before.