Life After Trama - Joe Keery

Tumblr Request @season4steve

Part 3 to Kidnapped and Ransomed
Summary of Parts 1 & 2:
The first year of Joe's and Y/N's marriage was perfect. The second year, however, they started to wake up from Cloud 9. Y/N's job as a lawyer and Joe's job as an actor didn't sync well. As much as they tried not to, their jobs interfered with their relationship. When things are slowly getting better, the Keerys' lives are thrown into a whirlwind when Joe comes home and his Y/N is gone. After getting talked down by his manager, Joe finally called the police. Working with the police and a random call, Y/N was finally saved after two days of being captive.

~•~

Reader's POV

I jumped awake, instantly covering my mouth to hold back the sob. With both hands over my mouth, I looked over at my husband. Joe told me to wake him whenever I had one of my nightmares. As much as I tried, I couldn't reach for him. I'd already woken him up three times tonight.

Instead of waking him again, I quietly got out of bed and headed downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and started making myself a cup of tea. As I sat at the counter and slowly drank my tea, memories flooded my brain.

I remembered the cute note that Joe left for me and the pasta dish he made. I remembered the sound of the doorbell ringing. I remembered the smiling faces of the two men at the door. I remembered the feeling of those men grabbing me. I remembered the truck bouncing along the highway. I remembered the fear building up the longer we were in the car.

"Y/N?"

I jumped at the sudden voice. Before turning around, I wiped the tears off my face.

"Baby, what are you doing up?" Joe asked as he walked over and wrapped his arms around my waist. I took a shaky breath as he leaned his chin on my shoulder.

"I couldn't sleep," I whispered.

"Y/N," he sighed as he let go of me and sat on the bar stool next to me. "Did you have another nightmare?"

I couldn't look at him. Instead, I turned my head and struggled to stop the tears.

Without a word, Joe stood up, grabbed my hand, and led me into the family room. He sat down on the couch, pulling me with him. The second we were sitting, he pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around me.

"Talk to me," he whispered.

"It's nothing new," I said, my voice breaking.

"Same nightmare?" Joe asked when I didn't continue. I nodded my head as I tucked more into his chest. "I'm so sorry, baby. If I hadn't gone back out with my coworkers, I would've been home when those guys came. I would've been there to stop them."

I looked up at him the second he paused. "It's not your fault," I said quickly. "Joe, this wasn't your fault."

"It kind of was," he said, looking away from me. "They didn't kidnap you because of a case you worked on, Y/N. The only reason they kidnapped you was because of me, my career, and the new season of Stranger Things. Think about it. When they grabbed you, they called you Mrs. Keery, right? It's because of me. You were kidnapped because of me. They grabbed you because of me. They hurt you because of me."

"I was found because of you," I cut him off. I leaned out of his hold and turned toward him. "You called the police. You answered the ransom. You found the money. You trusted the detectives as they took control of the ransom drop. You were the one who found me in the van. You were the one who stood by my side in the ambulance as they checked me over. You were the one who took me home and never let me go. You are the one who deals with my jumpiness, my nightmares, my separation anxiety."