To the Rescue - Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

Y/N Henderson and I started dating right before I found out about the UpsideDown. When I found out that Dustin had dragged her into all this shit, I was furious. It was right after we killed one of the demodogs and were hiding out at Will's house. Y/N came running into the house and instantly went to Dustin's side.

~•~

"What happened? Are you okay? What's wrong with you? Why would you go after. . ."

"Y/N?" I panicked, interrupting her. I ran over, pulled her away from Dustin and into my arms. We broke out of the hug and I led her to the kitchen. The second we were alone, I leaned down and crashed my lips onto hers. I felt her smile against my lips as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"What are you doing here?" I asked when I broke the kiss.

"Well, Dustin told me that you guys were planning on going . . ."

"He told you about all this?!" I couldn't help but snap. I let go of her and was about to run to Dustin and beat some sense into him. Y/N grabbed my hand and pulled me into her chest. She slid her hands up my chest and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Breathe, baby," she whispered. "I've known about all of this long before you did, but Dusty made me promise not to get involved."

"You knew?" I stuttered.

"Oh, come on," she chuckled. "It's Dustin dealing with weird science-fictiony stuff. Of course, he told me."

"I hate that he told you," I sighed.

"Steve. . ."

"I don't want you anywhere near this shit, Y/N," I cut her off. "I mean it. I need you safe. I can handle running after the kids, protecting them from all of this weird shit. But if you were running around with us, and I couldn't keep you safe. . . If something happened to you. . . I wouldn't be able to forgive myself."

She stood on her toes and delicately pressed her lips to mine. "I'm not involved, baby," she whispered. "And even if I was, you would never let something happen to me."

~•~

Ever since then, I've constantly checked on Y/N whenever something has gone down. The second we stopped fighting, I'd drive straight to her house. There were many nights after a fight that I'd sleep next to her. It got to the point where I couldn't sleep unless I was holding her.

Tonight, we were using raw meat to lead Dustin's lizard pet and friends to the junkyard. A while ago, Dustin ran off to go check on something while I continued leaving a trail. Once I finished, I went back to my car.

"Steve!"

I turned around to see Dustin running toward me. "What's wrong with you?" I chuckled.

"Y/N's gone."

"She's what?!"

"I went to the house, but she wasn't there," he started to explain. "Her car was still at the house. Her backpack was there, but she wasn't. I asked my mom but she hasn't seen her since after school."

"Maybe she's at my house," I said, trying to remain calm.

"I tried that," Dustin mumbled. "No one was there."

"She's not. . . Then where is she, Dustin?" I asked through my teeth.

"I don't know," he sighed. "But I have a theory."