Temperatures Rising: Chapter 43

Be sure to vote and comment, whereas they motivate updates

Heaven.

As I dropped my belongings onto the counter with a weary exhale, the weight of my therapist's words still lingering, all I craved was the solace of red wine

As I dropped my belongings onto the counter with a weary exhale, the weight of my therapist's words still lingering, all I craved was the solace of red wine. It felt like I was constantly pouring myself out for others, unintentionally exhausting myself. Despite this, I remained committed to Logan, knowing I needed to prioritize self-care. Lately, I'd been grappling with dark thoughts, battling against the urge to give in.

"Hey, big head," I greeted Jace with a forced smile as he entered, wine in hand.

Returning the smile, Jace leaned in to kiss my forehead. "Hey, baby girl. Are you sure about this? Remember, it's been three years since you fought hard to stay clean. Wine might not be the best choice right now."

I shrugged, avoiding his concerned gaze. "It's just wine, Jace. I know my limits. Besides, I've been doing better lately."

He sighed, concern etched on his face. "I'm just worried about you, that's all. And why haven't you been picking up Tolerie's calls?" I shook my head really not trying to answer that question, I pulled out two wine glasses pouring us both a half a glass, I scratched the side of my face. "Can I ask you something? And I want you to be honest."

"Yeah, sure.." he sat down on the bar stool.

Bringing the wine glass to my lips, I savored the bitter sweetness that danced across my taste buds. "So, about your face," he probed, his tone trailing off as if expecting an explanation.

It was the question I dreaded, one I knew I couldn't truthfully answer. In a reflexive move, typical of someone trapped in an abusive relationship, I fabricated a tale. "Oh, just a clumsy run-in with the door last night," I chuckled, hoping to divert his attention.

He nodded slowly, his expression tinged with concern. "You really need to be more careful," he cautioned before turning his focus back to me. "But what's on your mind, little sis?"