The Basketball Coach Part 2 - Steve Harrington

Start from the beginning

"We're a family," I shrugged. "It's a big adjustment for all of us."

* * * * *

Reader's POV

As Johnny and I drove to the school to meet Steve, my mind went back to the conversation Steve and I had last night. I couldn't help it. I needed to hear it from him.

"Are you sure you're okay with Steve and me?"

"Mom," he sighed. "We've talked about this. A lot. I liked Coach Harrington before I found out he was my dad. Plus, I'd have to be a complete idiot not to see how happy he makes you."

"It's not weird for you?" I asked.

"Of course, it is," Johnny shrugged. "It's a little adjustment but I like having him around, Mom. I'm not just saying that. When he's around, it feels like we're. . . It feels like we're a family."

"I know how long you've wanted that," I whispered, my voice breaking. Johnny let out a small chuckle as he reached over and grabbed my hand.

"I promise, Mom," he whispered. "I don't have an issue with him being around a lot. I want my dad in our life."

We pulled into the school parking lot and my eyes instantly landed on Steve. As I parked, Steve jogged over to my side. He opened the door and helped me out. He gently kissed my lips but froze when he pulled away and saw the look on my face.

"Everything okay?" He asked, looking over my shoulder at Johnny.

"She asked me for the millionth time if I was okay with my mother dating my father," Johnny sighed.

"Hey," Steve warned in his teasing voice. "Don't sass your mother, young man."

"Sorry, Dad," Johnny chuckled as he jogged over to a group of his friends. Steve grabbed me and pulled me into his chest.

"I love when he calls you that," I whispered.

"Me too," he whispered before leaning in and pressing his lips to mine. I broke the kiss with a teasing push. I laughed at his pout.

"Put that pouty face away," I giggled. "We've got canned goods to sort, donated clothes to fold, and toys to organize."

A few hours later, I was writing up tax receipts for people who donated when someone grabbed my waist. I looked over my shoulder to see Steve smirking at me.

"What?" I chuckled.

"Come with me."

He took the clipboard out of my hand and placed it on the table. He then took my hand and led me out of the gym.

"Where are we going?" I giggled as Steve led me down the hallway.

He stopped in front of a science lab and sent me a wink before pulling me into the empty classroom. The minute the door was closed, he pressed his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

I giggled against his lips as he picked me up and gently placed me on the edge of one of the tables, standing between my legs. We broke the kiss and pressed our foreheads together.

"You think Johnny's okay out there?" I asked.

"He's fine," Steve chuckled as he leaned back and gently grabbed my chin. "He and some of the other boys on the team are helping put food baskets together."

I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him closer to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist, smiling at me.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy," he said, his voice dropping.