51. SEOUL CIRCUIT

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter fifty-one | seoul circuit.

I swung my car into the gateway, eyes narrowing at the sight of the white stadium lights

I swung my car into the gateway, eyes narrowing at the sight of the white stadium lights. One of them seemed to be off, so the circuit wasn't as bright as it used to be, and some of the building entrances were taped off with caution tape. At least the gate was fully functioning, already open and taking people in. I parked it in the garage, right in front of Chaewon's working body. Her hair was tied up, sweat pouring down her face.

I got out of my car, slamming the door behind me. "Chaewon," She spared me a glance, acknowledging me before waving me off. I smiled with uncertainty, looking back to the grand bleachers and the Luminaries' side of the circuit. I could distantly see Seungmin working with Minho, the two conversing quietly. "You think we'll win tonight, Chaewon?"

"I hope," She briefly mentioned, wiping her forehead with a towel. I heard her soft footsteps getting closer, a hand massaging my shoulder. "Don't get nervous now, puppy. I know how much you hate hearing it, but you surely are our lucky charm."

"Actually, that motivates me a little," I agreed, crossing my arms. She slid her bangs back, huffing quietly. "It feels a little familiar–you know, racing at the circuit again. After being on the streets for every race, I think this is the perfect leeway into victory."

"You think?" Chaewon doubted, shifting her feet. "I'm a little nervous that all those years of partially competitive driving had caught up to them, and they know this shit better than we do."

"Nobody knows this track better than us," I said. "This is our turf, and I'm sure they acknowledge it. I'm sure the clauses this time are different, too–since the circuit is a lot less big than any of the highways we conquered."

"Good point," Chaewon added. "Hey, but, aren't you going to miss this place? No matter how this shit ends, Jiayi, this fight will be over. I'm pretty sure all of us are going to fall out of this place and chase what we've been really wanting."

"I'll miss this place, Chaewon," I nodded, facing her. "I'm sure Taeyong and you won't put this place to waste, though. I think that things won't drastically change, we'll just–take some time off, for real this time. Sure, we take breaks during practices, but mentally? This will be the first time."