11. STRAWBERRY RED AND NEON ORANGE.

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter eleven | strawberry red and neon orange.

"I heard Haechan took you for a ride in his Mustang," Chaewon said, keeping her speed slow so that she could gossip with me

"I heard Haechan took you for a ride in his Mustang," Chaewon said, keeping her speed slow so that she could gossip with me. Chaewon just finished work, and we were heading to practice. Today was Wednesday, and Taeyong's been nursing Donghyuck back to health so he could come today. I rolled my eyes, and she giggled with a slight nudge. "Oh, c'mon, Jiayi! Be happier about this! You may not know, but he hasn't let someone in his car for a year, and a woman in his car for even longer!"

"He's just being nice because I'm the newbie. It's nothing to fan over. I'm pretty sure he hates my guts, too," I crossed my arms. "I mean, what do I have that would make me special to him? I have no special attributes to this team of ours, but he formally said I could get some."

"Wow, he officially called you our teammate?! Yay! I finally have a girl best friend since–" She stopped early, inhaling sharply. "Sorry, I got ahead of myself. The reason I'm like this is that Haechan, back in the early days of racing, had a girlfriend he brought to every race, and she, too, was part of the team. Of course, I have my other best friend, but she doesn't come often."

Donghyuck? Having a girlfriend? Woah. Someone could put up with his bullshit.

Shoot, sorry. We're friends, so I should be nicer.

"But then she cheated on him, and god!- If you could see the look on his face, it was pitiful," She tried to mimic it, but it was horrible. I did get the image, though. "His face completely fell, and in his eyes, all you could see was betrayal. He had given up everything for her–He used to live in Jeju for a while, and followed her back to Seoul for her job. He stayed because he was born here–but sometimes, he fucking hates it here because of her. He moved on, but he's dedicated to racing instead of romance now. Anything that reminds him of her, he gets angry about."

"Fuck, if I got cheated on, I think it'd be upset too!" I exclaimed, defending Donghyuck. I could see the slight smirk on her face. "What? I'm being sympathetic!"

"Your sympathy sounds less like such and more like justification," I groaned, causing Chaewon to cackle. "I'm joking, Jiayi! I love you more than anyone, I swear, but you're just so fun to tease."