32. BY BODY AND MIND

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter thirty-two | by body and mind.

I sat on the bleachers, taking a sip of my soda

I sat on the bleachers, taking a sip of my soda. My eyes tried to move past him, but like glue, he was all my eyes could take in. His dark-haired mullet sat perfectly in the midnight wind as he spoke with Mark. I took another sip with my elbows on my knees, watching as his lips rose when Mark said something he liked. Something about this image—a smile, crescent-shaped eyes, casual clothing, hands on his helmet—puts me at peace. I want to preserve it forever.

Then, his head turned to the bleachers. I turned my head the other way. Nothing lasts forever, though.

In the corner of my eye, he turned back to Mark, allowing me to continue to stare. However, I'm rudely interrupted by a hand patting my head, a few tattoos along an arm indicating it was Taeyong. I huffed as I looked up at home, seeing his smug smirk. "Daydreaming?" My eyes went to staring at the track instead of Donghyuck and Taeyong took it as an opportunity to sit next to me. "You should just talk to him. Although he's cold-hearted, he'd forgive you in an instant."

I shook my head. "I don't think so. Not this time."

My head spun to Taeyong and I watched his eyes soften. A smile grew, something endearing yet sad expressed in his gaze. "You like him, don't you?" I widened my eyes, disagreeing by shaking my head rapidly. "Don't deny it. You could deny it for years and nobody would believe you. Who knows you better than the Neos?"

"Donghyuck himself," I wasn't wrong. He admitted it himself. "He's a Neo, though. I see your point. But, I don't like him, Taeyong. He's just closer to me than anyone else. We understand each other on a deeper level, even if we're so different. It was the first time someone wanted to understand me, and I think it was the first time for him to have someone who's so dedicated to what he's upheld."

He sighed, eyes averting to his hands. "Jiayi, even someone inhumane can understand this is romance," Then, Taeyong tsked. I frowned. I didn't want to hear that. "God, you sound like you love–"

"Shush!" I widened my eyes and put both hands over Taeyong's mouth. How could he say something like that without any warning!? Was he crazy!? Taeyong grabbed my hands, holding them in his lap. "Stupid. He could hear that! You could cause rumors!"