48. BRIDGES BURNED

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter forty-eight | bridges burned.

Drinking a can of beer, I sat on the small stool next to Chaewon

Drinking a can of beer, I sat on the small stool next to Chaewon. She was checking out my tires to make sure they had enough tread. "Yeah, they seem fine," Chaewon huffed, pointing to her drink. "Pass it to me."

I grabbed the cold can and scooted forward, watching as she took a big gulp. Mind you, that was beer too. I think she has a pretty high alcohol tolerance, although I'm never really sure. We went drinking a few times, like when we met for the first time, but even after a few drinks, she seemed to hold out. "Chaewon," I called out to her, hearing her hum. "How's Taeyong been doing?"

"You have legs. Go over and ask him," She advised, but at the sight of my frowning face, she sighed. "God, I forget you two still have unresolved feelings. He's been holding up just fine. He's got a new company he's dealing with, I'm sure you're aware: that chief of police girl. They've been in close contact because he's trying to figure out how to end the last race in peace instead of potential risk."

That's good. "So, did he?"

"Yeah. That girl and he made this compromise," Chaewon seemed uninterested, taking another sip before leaning under my car. "Something along the lines of that she'll keep us concealed as long as Taeyong takes her for a few drives on his motorcycle, or teaching her how to drive one. Something like that."

"Hah. Seems like your brother has a new love interest?"

"Psh. Maybe. He's still hung up on you," Chaewon raised her eyebrows, implying that she wasn't supposed to say that. I averted my gaze to my newly installed tinted windows, almost pretending that her statement didn't exist. But, Chaewon knew I wasn't a fool, sighing. "Forget it. I call my brother a full in your stead."

I chuckled, ears perking up at the sound of footsteps. Both of us seem to notice, heads turning at the sound. Donghyuck comes into view with his heavy boots, dressed in denim. "Oh, hey, Haechan," Once more uninterested, she goes back under my car, leaving me and him to speak.

"Hi, darling," I greeted him, hanging my can around my fingers. He hummed at my greeting, coming closer. Leaning down, he pressed a chaste kiss on my lips, ruffling my hair. "What are you up to?"