34

After a restless night, Caitlyn woke up feeling like she had been hit by a bus. As Lando woke up and looked over to her, he could see she was ill. She was clammy and pale and as he rested his hand on her forehead, he realised she was burning hot. She lay almost lifeless as any movement was sending throbbing pains through her head, as he got up in search of medicine for her. A short while later, Lando returned with some paracetamol and a large glass of water.

L- Here princess, take these and try to get some rest. 

C- I am so sorry, I am going to ruin our last day before you go to Greece

L- Don't be silly, you can't help being ill. I'm going to pick the last few things up for going away so phone me if you need anything okay?

C- I will, thank you.

As Lando crept out of the bedroom and softly closed the door, he could hear Caitlyn moving around in the bed trying to get comfortable. He was worried about her being ill, more so about leaving her in this state whilst he went on holiday. That's when he had the idea to contact Michelle. If she couldn't come stay, at least she could maybe pop over to check on Caitlyn. He slipped back into the bedroom to find her sleeping and opened her phone. He got Michelle's number and left the house to head into town. He connected his phone to the car and dialled her number.

Mich- Hello?

L- Michelle? this is Lando

Mich- Oh hi, is everything okay?

L- Well not really. I am heading to Greece tonight for five days but Caitlyn is really ill. I will cancel my plans if needed but I was wondering if you could maybe come stay with her? Or at least check in on her when I'm away?

Mich- Erm yeah sure. I can work from my laptop as long as you don't mind leaving me your wifi password?

Lando laughed- I think I could manage that! Thanks Michelle. It will also be good for Caitlyn to get some time with you, I've kind of been keeping her to myself

Mich- Yes, tell me about it. Anyways I better go. Send me your address and stuff later and I will go over later tonight

L- Thank you so much, will do

Lando still felt guilty leaving her but he knew some girl  time would be good for Caitlyn as well. As he bid farewell to his girlfriend later that afternoon, he felt a feeling he had never had before, true sadness. He had insisted she stay in bed all day, even though she said she was feeling better, he could see that was a lie. Lando had only been away for about an hour when Caitlyn heard the front door close.

C- Hello? Who's there

*silence*

C- Hello?!?!

* creaking floorboards outside the bedroom made Caitlyn hide under the covers. Then the door opened slowly. Her breathing was heavy but she was trying to stay as quiet as possible

Mich- SURPRISE!!!!

C- Geez Mich, you scared the life out of me! What are you doing here?

Mich- Lando phoned me and asked if I could come stay to look after you. And now I can see why, you look like shit

C- Wow Mich, don't hold back

Mich- Sorry babe, but you really don't look great. How are you feeling?

C- I'm actually feeling better than I did this morning

Mich- Well, I am here to be at your beck and call until you are fighting fit again. Lando has said I can work from his office during the day so there is no getting rid of me

Tears welled up in Caitlyn's eyes. She was so thankful for Lando and for her best friend. A friend she had completely isolated since Lando saved her from her mums graveside that day. It was unintentional but she made a mental note to do better.  The girls took the covers down to the living room where they ate soup and caught up. Caitlyn had told her about all her worries regarding jobs and the house and Michelle filled her in on the gossip. They spent the night laughing and crying together, it felt good to be with her again. Caitlyn wasn't sure what time she fell asleep but she woke up the next morning, still lying on the couch. She made her way to the kitchen to make coffee when she suddenly remembered Michelle was staying.  She made two cups and tiptoed into Lando's office, where Michelle was typing furiously on her laptop with her phone at her ear. Caitlyn left the coffee on the desk and blew her best friend a kiss before heading for a shower. 

A while later, Michelle wandered into the kitchen in search of food to find Caitlyn working on her laptop. She looked cute with one of Lando's hoodies on, her hair up in a messy bun and her glasses on. 

M- What are you up to?

C- Just working on a proposal

M- For what??

C- I suddenly had this idea for a job, so I am putting a proposal together to send out to some people. I don't know if it will be taken by anyone but its the most excited I've been about something in a while

M- Let me seen then

C- Nope, this is top secret until I can potentially take it further

M- Secret from your best friend? Wow, thanks

C- Its not like that Mich, I just want to get all this information out my brain first, then I'll share, I promise

M- Okay then. Anyways, I need to head back to London this afternoon. There has been some big emergency in the office so I need to go home.

C- Of course babe, thanks for coming to look after me. Lets have lunch before you head off, yeah?

And that's what they did. They giggled like teenagers and fantasised about what their future weddings would look like until it was time to say goodbye again. Caitlyn felt better than she had in a long time, both physically and mentally. All thanks to Lando and Michelle.