11

Caitlyn was so conflicted. She liked talking to Bob but would she still feel the same knowing it was Lando. She had already decided she couldn't be angry with him. He didn't exactly lie and she almost understood him not disclosing his identity before but did she really want to get into his high profile life. She hated social media and most of what it stood for. Don't even get her started on people making a living being an "influencer". She was pacing up and down her hotel room having a full blown conversation with herself when she heard a ding from her phone.

Bob- check your emails x

She logged into her account and saw a new message sitting in her inbox. She took a deep breath and opened the email.

to: CMOM99

from: orange_bob

Caitlyn,

I figured writing all of this in an email would be easier than sending lots of texts. First of all I want to apologise if this has all become too much but I wanted you to know that all the texts, emails and phonecalls as Bob were truly me. I wrote in your book out of instinct that day and I really like being in contact with you.

I really am just someone trying to find my place in this world. As I said before, I am pursuing my dream career but it can be extremely lonely. There is always girls around, if I wanted them, but I don't trust them. I know they are only after 15 minutes of fame or to upgrade their influencer status. I don't let people see the real me. But I let you because I could be Lando without being Lando, the Formula  1 driver. You spoke to me as a person, not to the celebrity or whatever I am. 

If you don't want to be in contact as much then I respect that but I also wanted you to know nothing changes for me. You can still call me whenever or check in so I know your safe

Lando x

Caitlyn finished reading the email and realised she was crying. She didn't understand why because she didn't even know him but she also felt she knew him so well. Without thinking, she picked up her phone and dialled his number.

C- Hey! Thank you for your email. I am not going to lie, I am a bit confused by the whole situation but things aren't going to change for me either. I have really enjoyed speaking to you, and to be honest, you know more about me than most of the people in my life.

L- I am glad you feel like that Caitlyn because I like speaking to you as well. It feels so natural like we've always been friends. And it will make things a bit easier that I don't have to be suspicious when I am racing at the weekends. I don't know what kind of job you thought I did that made me work these crazy hours

C- I was a bit confused but I thought you had a girlfriend you were spending your weekends with and just didn't want to say.

They talked for a while about everything, as though nothing had been declared earlier. Caitlyn told him all the things she had seen in Amsterdam and that she was looking forward to spending a few days by the beach next week. Lando had said he may stay in Zandvoort after the race to relax for a day or two but Caitlyn wasn't sure of he was being serious and didn't want to ask in case he hadn't meant it. She read him the opening part of her blog entry for Amsterdam and sent him over some of the pictures she had taken. They had been talking for over an hour when Caitlyn could hear another man speaking to Lando, after which he informed her he had to do a training session. They said their goodbyes and hung up. Caitlyn quickly messaged Miche to let her know what had gone down then took a selfie to send to Lando.

Caitlyn- Thought I would send you a picture since I know what you look like x

Lando- Wow! 🤩