17

Caitlyn spent the next day lying on a towel at the beach. She had brought her notebook and her laptop. She finished editing the first part of her travel blog and published it, sending the link to Michelle. She knew her best friend would be brutally honest about it. Shortly afterwards her phone rang, it was Michelle. The two girls chatted about the blog for a while before Caitlyn filled her in with all the details of her evening with Lando. She could feel the massive grin on her face as she talked about him and was glad Michelle couldn't see her right now. She would be teasing her for sure. The girls said their goodbyes and Caitlyn enjoyed the rest of the day soaking up the sun. She hadn't heard from Lando but she knew he would be busy prepping for Canada.

The next morning she sat in her hotel room, she had to plan where to go next as she would be leaving Zandvoort the next morning. She scrolled the internet for a while before coming across a guide for travel around Croatia and she instantly fell in love. She booked a hostel for Dubrovnik for 2 nights then she would possibly travel around the country before heading on to Austria. She wanted to go skiing before meeting up with Lando for the grand prix so that would be the next thing to book.

Caitlyn woke up around 10am the next morning feeling refreshed and excited for her next destination. She left the hotel and headed for the bus station. She would need to travel back to Amsterdam then could catch a flight from there to Dubrovnik. She grabbed a coffee and breakfast roll once she arrived in Amsterdam then got herself comfortable. She browsed the shops in Schiphol airport for a while before boarding. The flight would take around 4hrs 30mins so she put her earphones in and closed her eyes. Shortly before landing she woke up after a lovely nap and it occurred to her that she still hadn't heard anything from Lando. She made a mental note to message him to say she was now in Croatia, once she arrived at the hostel. 

Later that evening, she opened her phone to message Lando but decided she would send him an email instead. She hadn't done that in a while and then it would be up to him to get in touch if he saw it or not. She felt better making contact but didn't want to come across as too needy by texting him.

to: orange_bobfrom: CMOM99

Hey,Just wanted to let you know that I'm now in Croatia. I am staying in Dubrovnik for a couple of days then I plan to travel the country for a few days before heading to Austria. I'm staying in a Gaber Haus in a place called Stubalpe to ski for a few days next week. It is only 30 mins from the track I think.Anyway, hope you're enjoying your few days at homeCaitlyn x

"The real lover is a man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space." – Marilyn Monroe

Dubrovnik was a beautiful city. The buildings were all made of sand stone with terracotta tiled roofs. Caitlyn found herself taking hundreds of pictures around the small streets before finding herself standing on a cliff path. Below her, the sea was the most incredible blue. She could see all the way to the bottom, it was so clear. She sat down and wrote some notes about the path she had taken to find the look out spot before enjoying the afternoon sun against her skin. Below her was a group of people kayaking, laughing and splashing each other. Instantly she felt sad. She wished she was having this experience with Michelle or even Lando. Home sickness had hit her in waves since she left England but right in that moment, she felt completely alone. She dusted herself down and decided to head back to the hostel, possibly grabbing an early dinner on her way. She hoped that there wouldn't be many people in the shared accommodation when she returned, she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts and her notebook.

 She hoped that there wouldn't be many people in the shared accommodation when she returned, she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts and her notebook

After finding a small bistro, Caitlyn enjoyed some pizza and was now back in her bed. Lando still hadn't responded to the email or messaged her and Caitlyn was beginning to think she was never going to hear from him again. She opened her notebook diary for the first time in a while and began to write;

I dont even know where to begin. To be honest I don't even know what day it is. Anyway, I am now in Croatia which is beautiful. This city has possibly stollen my heart, it is everything I thought about when I decided to go travelling but I can't help but feeling so alone. I was going to travel around the country a bit before heading off for some skiing in Austria but I think I might just stay here. Lando invited me to the GP next week at the Red Bull Ring but I haven't heard from him since he dropped me off in Zandvoort on Monday. What does this mean? 

I thought I was falling in love with him but maybe this is what guys like him do. Find a girl to wine and dine in each city before leaving them behind wondering if it was all real. I can feel my mood getting low again. I haven't felt like this in a while, I thought I was past the depression. Travelling was meant to save me, help me find my purpose but I just feel more confused than ever. Anyways, I am going to sleep now. I am sure I will feel better in the morning

"All it takes is a beautiful fake smile to hide an injured soul and they will never notice how broken you really are." —Robin Williams