26

The next morning Lando and Caitlyn had some breakfast before packing up the car and heading to his parents house. The drive went well, with the pair singing along to the radio and playing silly games but Caitlyn was very nervous to meet Lando's family. She had never met anybody's parents apart from Michelle's but that was different. As they got nearer to the house, he could tell she was anxious by the way she played with the bracelets on her wrist. This was something she had done back in Amsterdam when they went out for dinner, and he realised it as a sign of her nerves. He took his hand from the steering wheel and placed it on hers, rubbing it slowly with his thumb. He didn't need to say anything in that moment, his actions seemed to work instantly as he watched Caitlyn relax as she gazed out of the window.

As the town disappeared and the countryside opened up in front of them, Lando turned off the road and up a large driveway. The automatic gates opened upon them nearing and he pulled up in front of a beautiful Georgian house. The red brick shining in the mid day sunshine, with perfectly manicured lawns surrounding it. There looked to be stables off to one side and a multi car garage on the other. Caitlyn got out of the car and stood silently looking at the building in front of her. She quickly regained her awareness as the front door of the house opened. Lando was now beside her with his hand on her lower back, guiding her forward.

L- Hi mum, dad! This is my friend Caitlyn. Caitlyn, this is my parents Cisca and Adam.

C- Hello both of you. Your house is beautiful!

Cis- (moving forward and pulling Caitlyn into a hug) Aww thank you darling. Its lovely to meet you

 Its lovely to meet you

Caitlyn froze momentarily after Cisca hugged her. She hadn't realised how much she had needed a motherly hug like that. Next Adam pulled her in for a hug before the four of them headed into the house. Lando took her hand, squeezing it slightly to make sure she was okay, to which she responded with a smile. They sat at the breakfast bar enjoying a cup of tea and talking for a while before Lando's two sisters returned from the stables to introduce themselves. Caitlyn enjoyed watching the family interact with each other, the siblings bickering and laughing together.  She had always wanted this for her life, something she would never get now. After a while young Cisca and Flo returned to their horses and Adam left to attend to some business, leaving Lando, Caitlyn and Cisca talking. 

Cis- So tell me, how did you meet? Lando never tells us anything about his friends, apart from Max of course.

L- Well....Caitlyn is actually from the village near my house mum. We both like to sit at the same bench along the canal and after a while we got talking. Caitlyn has been in Europe travelling and managed to come to the race in Austria

Cis- That's lovely. Its good for you to have friends away from the track darling. Anyways, I am going into the town to get the last few bits sorted for Flo's birthday. I will see you later.

Once she was gone, Caitlyn let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. 

C- Thank you for not telling your mum the whole story. I don't mind them knowing about my mum but maybe not in the first conversation

L- Its no problem. Everything I said was true, just minus a few details. And plus, its not my story to tell so I will let you do that if or when your comfortable.

Lando pulled Caitlyn into a hug before they settled on the couch to watch a film. Little to their knowing, Cisca had heard the whole conversation and was now standing watching her son cuddling up to a girl who was clearly more than a friend to him. She enjoyed the moment a bit longer before leaving. Later the Norris family and Caitlyn headed out to a local restaurant for Flo's birthday dinner. It was a small place and everyone seemed to know the family. After a few polite hellos and handshakes they sat down in a large booth towards the back of the building. They all chatted and told stories about Flo growing up, much to her embarrassment. They asked Caitlyn about her travels and she showed them some of her photographs. Lando sat back enjoying the evening. He knew his family would accept Caitlyn with open arms but he was happy to also see her relaxed and happy in their company. She had shared stories about her panicking in the first hotel in Amsterdam and how he had saved her.

C- It sounds so embarrassing to say it out loud now but I was so scared I couldn't think straight at all

Adam- I could imagine. I'm glad you managed to move somewhere you were more comfortable with or it could have ruined your whole trip. 

As they finished their meals, the lights in the restaurant went out and everyone began to sing happy birthday to Flo. She blew the candles out and made her wish before the waiter cut the cake for them all. After a couple more drinks they all returned to the house and sat in the living room with the large fire roaring.

C- I just wanted to say thank you for including me in your plans tonight, I had a really lovely time. And happy birthday Flo, I hope you have the happiest day tomorrow.

Flo- Thank you!! I'm glad you came, Lando never brings girls back to the house

L- She is a friend Flo but thanks for embarrassing me

Soon enough, Caitlyn felt the exhaustion hit her. She had noticed that since her mum had passed, waves of fatigue would hit her like a ton of bricks. Thankfully Lando seemed to notice as well and suggested they go to bed. Cisca wasn't sure if they would be staying in the same room or not but Caitlyn had asked if she could stay with Lando. Something he was more than happy with. He seemed to sleep so well when he had her in his arms. They talked for a while in bed, her snuggled into his chest whist he slowly trailed his fingers up and down her arms which helped her drift off into a peaceful sleep.