Could never be so more alone

The hours dragged on, the taxi drove through the night. Percy was asleep in the back catching some sleep and Grover was still awake driving. But Emma, she sat wide awake looking out the window. There should have been four of them. Luca should be next to her in the driving seat. They should be having fun making memories. But no. The Gods stood Emma up. Part of Emma's happiness was gone for eternity. Why did the Gods take away Emma's happiness? She's just a kid. She doesn't deserve this. Trying not to cry, Emma looked on her phone, the photos of her and Luca glowed on her face. Their smiles as bright as the sun. Now as cold as the moon. Then it started. Like a flood tears came down from Emma's eyes. Putting her hand over her mouth trying not to make a noise she cried, like her heart had been shattered into pieces. Grover looked over at his friend and looked for a sign to the nearest gas station/ petrol station. Finally getting to it, Grover pulled off the road and stopped quickly. Emma got the message and opened the door quickly running into the empty car park. The flashing lights of the station meant Grover could keep an eye on where Emma was.

"Come back Luca please. I need you..." Emma sniffled looking up at the sky as she fell to her knees. "Just let me say goodbye. Please Zeus. He's all I had." A slam from behind her, footsteps running towards her. Then a warm hand on her shoulder. Then her brown teary red eyes met blue tired eyes.

"It's okay." Percy said. Emma fell into his arms for the third time that day.

"I really miss him Perc." Emma whispered.

"I know. It's okay." Percy said whispered placing his chin on her head wrapping her safely in his arms.

"It's like he's alive in my head." Emma said sniffling.

"He is." Percy softly nodded.

"I'm sorry..." The girl apologised.

"Em. It's okay. I've got you. Don't worry about anything." Percy smiled. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I promised Luca. His dying words were to make me look after you." Grover walked over and hugged both of them. And at that moment, a bond was born within the three of them. Nothing no one could ever break. At this moment I think all three of them sensed Luca's presence.

"I'll get some food." Grover said. "You guys get back in the car." As Grover walked off into the shop, Percy helped Emma up. Shaking Emma walked with Percy to the car.

"Get in the back." Percy said opening the door for Emma.

"You need to sleep." Emma said confused.

"I'd rather not sleep at all then have you tired at all. Emma sleep." Percy said smiling. Emma looked at the boy, communicating with their eyes they both came to a decision. All three of them would take shifts, driving, sleeping, helping the driver.

••••

A few minutes later, Grover got back in the drivers seat with a bunch of sweets, candies, chocolate, fizzy drinks, coffee, empty cans.

"You not sleeping?" Grover asked handing Percy all the stuff.

"I wouldn't live with myself if I took time from Emma sleeping." Percy said looking back at the girl sleeping soundly.

"You really care about her." Grover said putting his seatbelt on.

"Luca wanted me to look after her." Percy said looking back at Grover.

"Not just that. You care about her if Luca told you or not. Percy you like her. Just tell her. If we make it out alive that is." Grover chuckled.

"Real funny Gro." Percy smiled.

"Just trying to lighten the mood." Grover said as he drove off.

••••

The bell rang as Percy walked into a store, next to the door plants stood their ground far too overgrown to be inside but somehow they still looked nice. Calm but creepy music played overhead, Percy looked around confused. Beds? So many bees. Different colours, shapes, sizes, types but all beds. Jackson walked through the beds looking.