Ch 42: This Is: Healing Energy

Simone's POV

Saturday, February 17th
11 a.m.

Papine, Kingston

"Mommy," I said, walking outside.

"Yes? Wait deh, Simone a my blouse that?" She asked, getting up from next to Daddy.

"No! Remember me have one like it," I lied.

"Make me go in deh and nuh find it and yuh see." She sat back down and I put on my slippers.

"Uno nuh wah guh out?" I asked, jogging out of the sun to sit next to them on the bench under the tree.

"Yah buy mi sum'n if me fawud?" Javaughn, my younger brother asked.

"Yuh love sweets? Excuse wid yuh green arm," I said. He hissed his teeth.

"Dah likkle girl yah stink and bright. Smell me." He grabbed my head and stuffed my face under his arm.

"Hey! Stop nuh likkle pitney," I screamed and he laughed.

Him nuh green, thank God but me nah tell him dat.

"Simone weh yuh nuh go text yuh likkle friend dem and gwaan yuh ways? From Wednesday yah ask if people nuh wah go out," Daddy said, putting his foot up on the bench.

"Mi fren dem have boyfriends and them have plans," I told him.

Two likkle fren me have and dem love out eno. Ariana make Denique stop chat to me, but I don't care. Two a dem leff mi a place weh me nuh know and expect me fi chat to dem. A little while after, Denique was trying to get back into my good graces after Ariana dropped her for her other friends. Uh, next bitch.

"Yah buy me sum'n if me come? And me nah wear nuh cut off foot pants," Javaughn said to me.

He's only 15 years old and he's so tall. Almost the same height as Daddy. They both dress similarly but the older Daddy gets, he stops wearing certain clothing. Javaughn picked up this dirty habit from his friends, wearing his pants under his ass with desert Clarks.

Mi affi tell him seh it make him look stink.

Thank God he's light-skinned so he didn't bleach because I don't like to see it. I like men who take care of themselves and put their hygiene at the top of their priority list. Javaughn is always fresh, something I've been telling him since he started high school because nobody wants a man who starts to smell when he's out in the sun.

Now the shithouse have the likkle gyal dem a run him dung. Thank God fi me. Worse him a wash belly, Mommy and Daddy make him have him own way. Well, to an extent cause him cya leave the yard after 9 p.m. or Daddy give him some fuck lick.

Badness nuh pay, and when bwoy pitney deh outta road hours a' night and follow certain company, a right in there them a drag guh.

"Okay. Mommy yuh still ago cook if mi buy food, right?" I asked. She nodded her head, biting a piece of the ripe banana she was eating.

"I'm doing brown stew fish because that's what I have been craving. If Jermaine wants something else, he is going to buy it," She said.

"You're cooking the fish with rice?" I asked. She shook her head.