Poking Monsters With Sticks Might Not Be A Great Idea

A/N: This chapter is where things get confusing. It starts with Isabelle Karanes's point of view. This is NOT the same as Isabel Wonders who is from the Riordanverse. Hopefully the difference in spelling helps... as you were.

———

Colors whirled by in a flash and suddenly Isabelle was falling. "What the...? Ack! Hold on, Daphne!" She called out, clutching Daphne to her chest. Even now, the ground was fast approaching. A branch hit her in the face. Ignoring the pain, Isabelle thrust her hand towards the ground and let out a torrent of wind. It slowed down her fall just enough that she was uninjured.

What the heck was that? Daphne asked in her head. She hopped out of Isabelle's arms and paced in front of her. I thought we were heading to the Wall?

"We were supposed to." Isabelle said aloud. "I specifically told the guards our destination. Now I don't even know where we are." It was times like this she was glad Daphne could change her form. If they had landed somewhere surrounded by strangers, no one would suspect the small silver wolf. At least, not the same way they would suspect a large gold dragon.

Are we even in Dicathen? Looks more like Epheotus to me. Daphne pointed out.
"Well if we are in Epheotus, I need to have some words with Windsom about his idea of timing. It's not like I'm in the middle of fighting a war that will decide the future of my friends, family, and the entire continent." She fumed. Then a terrifying thought occurred to Isabelle. "Wait, what if we somehow ended up in Alacrya?"

How would that even happen?

"I don't know. But we need to find a way back to Dicathen if that's the case. Maybe it could be a sort of reconnaissance mission." Isabelle pulled her hood up. No matter what continent she was on, her braided two-toned hair was a dead giveaway. No other person had gold hair on one side and silver on the other, marking her as asura-blooded.

It was warm. Several times she came close to taking down her hood if it wasn't for the fear that someone would recognize her. Whatever weird forest she was in, it was interspersed with foot-paths that she avoided like the plague. Instead, she walked through the trees, only crossing into learings when she had to. Eventually, she reached a small, secluded clearing.

Sighing, Isabelle sat down. There didn't seem to be an end in sight to this and she had been walking for the better part of the day. The sun was about two hours from setting by her mark. If things didn't change, she'd likely be camping here.

A small, outraged hiss alerted her that she wasn't alone. Isabelle grabbed for her wand and activated Realmheart. If she wasn't alone, she at least wanted to see what kind of magic she was up against. The world shifted to grayscale, with motes of blue, green, orange, red, and purple. She searched her surroundings carefully.

In the grass there was a strange cluster of red, fire mana particles. Strange because it seemed uneven and even, sickly. Isabelle grabbed a nearby stick to investigate.

Careful, Izzy. Daphne cautioned.
Yeah, I know. Hesitantly, Isabelle poked the thing in the grass with the stick.

Something struck out at her. Had she not been assimilated, Isabelle wouldn't have been able to react fast enough. As it was, the thing still brushed up against her hand, leaving a searing pain.

Izzy!

I'm fine, Daph, really. The purple flecks of aether moved around her hand, dulling the pain though she could feel the wound closing. Not entirely unpleasant. What was that?

I don't know but it was fast. It looked like a snake. I'm going to transform.

Don't you dare. Isabelle shifted out of Realmheart in order to see in color. In the grass, there was a small hissing serpent. Small flickers of flame came out of its mouth. I'm assuming that's it.