Schist, We Lost The Elf

Katie spent the rest of the drive thinking about how she was going to explain the damage to her parents and how she was going to explain Abigail to the rest of camp. It seemed like the first thing that would need to be done would be getting Abigail to the weapons shed, since she seemed to be a fighting force. When they got back to camp, Isabel and the other-worlders were waiting.

———

Isabel was frustrated to say the least. How in the world do you lose a whole elf?! Darravalgareovean wasn't anywhere in the camp and nobody had seen him leave; it was as if he just disappeared. All Isabel and the otherworlders had to go off of was a nymph that said the high elf tried to sleep in her tree before she yelled at him. They regrouped at Thalia's tree and were about to start looking again when Isabel spotted the Jackson's Prius park a few feet away from the hill.

Katie and Percy got out with Darravalgareovean (what?) and a brunette girl with what looked to be a tattoo of an eye on her right hand, probably another otherworlder. They all looked a bit disheveled, as if they had just been in a fight.

"Darravalgareovean," Isabel was mildly impressed with herself for actually saying the elf's name right, "where have you been? We've been looking for you all morning." She would deal with the new girl later, she was still really annoyed at Darravalgareovean for leaving without letting anyone know. If she was being honest she was worried that something had happened to the elf. She had lost a lot of her friends and siblings in the wars and she wasn't about to let any of the otherwolders get hurt.

"I'll let him explain that, but right now could someone go get your brother? Abigail was badly injured after fighting a hellhound when she got to my house and then she decided to finish off an attacking manticore. I'm pretty sure she could use Will's healing touch in addition to her Marks." Katie jumped in before Darravalgareovean could say anything.

When Isabel realized her friends and this newcomer, Abigail were attacked twice, there was really only one response that came to mind. "Oh schist... I'll go find Will," and with that she ran back to the Apollo Cabin.

He wasn't there.

She checked the Hades Cabin and found him still asleep with Nico. Of course. "Will. Will, wake up," Isabel said as she shook her brother awake, accidentally waking Nico as well.

"Wh- Iz? What's going on?" Will asked while Nico mumbled something about needing to get a lock for his door.

"A new otherworlder came through outside of camp. She was attacked by a Hellhound and a Manticore." That was enough to get him out of bed. "Be right back Neeks." Will said and then the siblings were out the door making their way back to half-blood hill where everyone else was waiting.

———

"Where's the patient?" Will asked once he arrived. Katie pointed to Abigail who was drawing another one of those Marks on herself. It was remarkable how much better her wounds were getting already, but it was still clear she needed medical attention. Will took one look at her and decided she needed to go to the infirmary. Once they left, Sati asked. "What exactly happened? How did you get attacked by a manticore?"

Darravalgareovean shrugged, "It was too crowded in the cabin, so when I was woken up in the woods by the manticore I started to run."

"Okay, but why were you in the woods? We're going to need more details than that." Isabel clarified.

He looked at her like it was obvious, "Because the cabin was crowded."

Isabel sighed and tried again, "It always is, it's the Hermes Cabin, but what happened in between the cabin being crowded and the Manticore showing up? 'Cabin was crowded and then a Manticore attacked' isn't much of an explanation. You need to elaborate."

"Let's try a different tactic. How did you get outside of camp?" Ari asked. She was vaguely listening to the conversation, but most of her attention was focused on the car that they had used to get here. It was covered in dents and scratches, but it was so much more advanced than the cars back home.

"To sleep. The cabin was too crowded so I left to sleep in a tree but the dryad didn't want me in her tree, so I left deeper into the woods where there was more cover." Darravalgareovean explained like they were children who couldn't understand the obvious, "I hadn't realized I'd wandered outside the boundaries of camp until I got attacked by the manticore in my sleep and the road of... weird metal wagons? was closer than camp. It came from the direction of the camp, so I had to run towards the road. A few of the spirits found Abigail and Katherine and Perseus in their metal wagon. So I ran to them to get help, my sickle wasn't doing any damage."

"There, that's all we wanted to know. Was that really so hard?" Isabel asked.

Darravalgareovean rolled his eyes.

"So... yeah, after all that, he landed on the roof of our car as we were driving down the interstate to get Abigail to camp, and got Percy to pull over. The manticore, Thorn actually, attacked us and while I tried to keep Abigail out of the fight she stole my dagger and joined the fight anyway. Something about it being her job and she somehow noticed that normal weapons don't work on monsters. Honestly, with how she fought, had she been in better condition, I think she would have wiped the floor with Thorn." Katie picked up from there. "I found her in an alleyway outside my house being attacked by a hellhound. I decided that we needed to get to camp in order to get her wounds treated. Unfortunately, I don't know how to explain to Mom and Paul about the scratches and what happened to their car."

"Is this the original shape of the car?" Ari asked the boy that had come with Katie. He looked at her in confusion before nodding. "And is there any internal damage?"

"None as far as I'm aware. Why?" he asked her.
She didn't answer but started inspecting it from all sides. "What are cars in this world made of? Like the paint, primer and body area."

"Hot-stamped and high tensile steel for most of it, and aluminum door frames. Why?" Someone from that mechanic cabin answered.

"Hmm, do you have any extra of that kind of material?"

"Yes, do you need it?" She nodded and they ran off. Ari started walking around the car and placing knives at specific intervals.

"What are you doing?" Katie asked.

"You'll see." Ari said cryptically as the other person came back with their arms full of metal. "Place it next to the car." She instructed as she clapped her hands together.

As soon as the mechanic moved away, she placed her hands on the rim of the circle she had mapped out. Like always it took the form of a star inside a circle, one knife at each of the points. Purple flashes of light from the transmutic reaction filled the air around her.

Slowly the scratches filled in and after less than a minute, the car looked like nothing had happened to it. "There." She said simply. "Now you won't have to explain anything."

Darravalgareovean pondered for a minute at the metal contraption after it had been knitted together with what seemed to be a sort of magic. "Car." he hummed, testing out the word they'd called it. Interesting. He wasn't sure what half of what made it up was, it was all very new to him. However, it seemed very useful, a horseless carriage like that.

"Well that's an incredibly useful skill... especially with our luck." Isabel commented, impressed by how easily Ari fixed the car. "We should probably go see how Abigail is doing." And make sure my brother isn't working himself to death.