Impetus

"That's insane" Isabela huffed as Elena absently played with her hair, her free hand intertwined warmly with hers.

Ricky had helped Elena sneak a note to Isabela, after last night's unexpected arrival she needed to talk to her.

Because her parents had made sure to keep her locked in for the night in her bedroom, not giving them an opportunity to talk about Eduardo's return.

Now in the deep quiet forest, Elena had successfully avoided her parents' claws.

The sun was setting and when the night fully settled they would ultimately realize she wasn't in her room, but it was worth it. Every single second that she could get away to be with Isabela.

"When I see him I'll-" Isabela glowered, her face turning red with anger.

"Princess, it's not worth it. Besides he seemed to have turned a new leaf" Elena tried to sooth her, her gentle eyes meeting hers. If only Isabela knew the truth...

"If he is so regretful why the hell did he accept your parents' request to court you?"

Elena's mind flashed back to last night, Eduardo's voice looming around her like she was defenseless.

She was back in the cold garden... Eduardo staring  at her.

"All that time you were working with LDM. How dare you come back?" Elena had shaken off her initial shock to confront him.

"I guess Melvin told you the truth" Eduardo sighed bashfully "I hope he also mentioned how regretful I was in the end"

Elena met his eyes with a scowl "After you actively sabotaged my relationship with Isabela"

Eduardo looked down "I'm sorry Elena"

"Well if you actually had any regrets about it, why are you here? I don't understand, why did you accept to court me?"

"Elena I know this looks bad but listen to me first, please"

"There is no reason for you to be here"

Eduardo exhaled, his eyes finding hers again. "Elena, when they reached out to me asking for help. I wasn't sure I could handle being close to you again...but the only reason I accepted is because I want to set things right with you, I want to fix my mistakes"

Elena scoffed "You care about me? Oh for goodness sake Eduardo I thought we were friends once and look how that turned out!"

Eduardo shifted uncomfortably, his lips momentarily pressing into a thin line  "Because I fell in love with you. Everyone does stupid things when they're in love Elena"

"You knew from the start that our relationship was just a convenience deal. I clearly told you that I didn't like men and you knew that I -"

"I thought I could change you" Eduardo quickly interrupted her with a frown "And maybe it would have worked if Isabela hadn't come between us, because after her...I knew you couldn't love me"

"I wouldn't have ever loved you! Not even if I hadn't started dating Isabela. I'm not attracted to men in any way, don't you understand that?"

"Now I do" Eduardo looked wistful "That's why I stopped working with Melvin, I knew that even if I sabotaged your relationship with Isabela you were never going to love me back"

Eduardo's guilt seemed apparently genuine but there was something off about it, Elena knew better than to trust him again.

"I'm glad you realized that..."