Orders

"Abuela I-" Isabela's throat burned, she looked hopelessly at Elena while Alma hushed her "Now, now, you can thank me later sweetie"

"But abuela I don't...I don't want to have dinner with him" Isabela dared to meet Alma's eyes

Alma frowned taking a step closer to her granddaughter "Isabela no need to be modest"

"W-what?"

"Think about your future dear, you can see why this is a good deal we could arrange, right?"

Elena squirmed uncomfortably in her seat as Alma cleared her throat "Right?" She asked again and Isabela's head hung low "I don't think I'm ready" She mumbled weakly

"You are almost twenty two years old...Most of your childhood friends are married by now, if you wait any longer there won't be any men interested in pursuing you"

"...What if I don't want to get married?" Isabela tugged on her collar anxiously.

In all honesty -when she wasn't fighting with her feelings of self hatred for being interested in women- she did have this utterly impossible dream of getting married one day...But it certainly didn't involve a man.

Alma scoffed "That's none sense Isabela. Maybe right now you might think that, but I assure you that soon you're going to want a husband and children"

"It's okay not to want that" Elena added softly from her spot

Alma opened her mouth to reply but before she had the chance to Julieta walked in, humming cheerfully to herself.

"Oh hi girls" She smiled at her daughter and then at Elena

"Hi Mrs. Madrigal" Elena waved without much enthusiasm

Isabela gloomily looked at her mother

"Julieta maybe you can make your daughter think reasonably" Alma glanced pointedly at her

"What's going on?" Julieta raised an eyebrow and walked over to Isabela's side

"It's about Ramiro" Alma mentioned casually

"Oh...I see" She patted Isabela's back with a small frown

"You knew about it mom?"

Julieta nodded with a grimace  "I thought it was a good idea...But it doesn't seem like you're too excited about it"

"I'm not ready for that" Isabela repeated, hoping that her mother would see her point.

"She's still young mamá" Julieta affirmed "There's no rush"

"Well it's not like she's going to have to marry Ramiro right away"

"You said she would have a say in this" Julieta retorted "We would let her get to know Ramiro before rushing into anything"

"He's of a well respected family and with good wealth and looks I'm sure Isabela is going to be smitten"

"Abuela I-"

"Isabela trust me this is a good opportunity, I'm looking out for your future"

"Let's first have dinner with him and his family, okay? Then we can see how it goes" Julieta looked at her mother

"Yes. But do try to act excited to be here Isabela" Alma remarked "He is a sought young man after all"

"Isn't he almost thirty?" Isabela muttered forlornly

"He's twenty seven" Alma paused "An appropriate age"

"But you don't have to make a choice today sweetheart, just enjoy dinner" Julieta smiled, a bit of trouble showing on her features