Vacate

Isabela made her way to the fruit stand, she tried not to overthink things, which she failed incredibly doing so.

But it was too late to turn back now as she was standing just a few feet away from Elena's parents who ushered her closer as soon as they saw her.

"Hey" Elena's mother smiled embracing her in a hug "Hace tiempo que no te veo niña!"

"Hi, Mrs.Gomez" Isabela grinned and used the opportunity to glance around subtly

"Let me go tell Elena that you're here, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you" Mr.Gomez said enthusiastically after greeting her, Isabela doubted that he had any knowledge about their sudden distancing.

"She's been a bit down lately maybe you can cheer her up?" Mrs.Gomez had a hopeful look in her eyes

"Did something happen?" Isabela asked quietly...Guiltily.

"She had a fight with her boyfriend before he went back home"

Mrs.Gomez helped Isabela pick the fruit while she talked "One thing that I know is that she adores you" She chuckled "It's always, my friend Isabela this, my friend Isabela that...All the time"
"I'm sure that she'll talk to you...Can you just make sure that she's okay?"

Isabela stared at her hands, a problematic blush rising to her cheeks

She hesitated to say a word, she didn't want to lie to her face.

"With all the time you two will have together I'm sure-"

She couldn't finish her thought as Mr.Gomez came back in time to interrupt
"Sorry to make you wait mija, but Elena said that she's not feeling good right now" He looked at Isabela "She wanted me to give you this" He handed her an envelope with a lavender wax seal

"Thank you" Isabela took it and held it softly between her fingers

"How many pairs of underwear do I need to take?" Ricky asked as he joined his parents, his face was glued to a newspaper to notice the company

"Ricardo" Mrs.Gomez muttered

He looked up innocently "Yes mother?"

His father cleared his throat and that's when Ricky realized Isabela's presence

His eyes widened and embarrassment was written all across his face "Oh! Hey Isabela...Good seeing you again" He smiled sheepishly "And um of course I know how many pairs I should take, I'm a grown man!"

That made his parents laugh

"You're fifteen"

Ricky rolled his eyes in a good manner and shook his head "I bet I'll have a full beard next time you see me"

"You haven't started to grow facial hair yet bud " His father smiled playfully

"I'll have time" He shrugged with determination

"It's nice that you have goals" Isabela mumbled teasingly

A chuckle escaped Ricky as he rubbed his chin "I can already feel some hair coming in"

"I'm pretty sure it's lint from this sweater-" Mrs. Gomez started to pick at her son's worn out sweater "Which if I remember correctly told you to throw away?"

"But it's so soft" Ricky protested

She patted his head with a loving smile
"Did Mateo start packing?"

"Yes ma, he already finished actually"

"Really? Wow"

"He's been ready since he found out we were going back to Mexico"

Isabela's neck hurt from how fast she turned to look at them, the news was making Isabela's heart beat faster.

"And I'm almost done too" Ricky's voice was booming

And then some chatter blasted as more costumers got to the fruit stand, suddenly occupying Elena's parents.

"Y-You are going back to Mexico?" Isabela asked Ricky in a rush once they were far apart from the others

"Yes, didn't my sister tell you?"

"We...We haven't talked these days" Isabela frowned "I've been busy"

"Oh" Ricky raised an eyebrow "I thought that you would be the first one to know for sure"

"No..." She glanced at the sky "Are you coming back?"

"Of course!" He grinned "Unless you don't want to"

"What?" Isabela looked at him again and Ricky laughed "I'm a little jealous of all the fun my sister is going to have without our parents supervision"

Isabela had a question in tow when a boy who was with his parents shopping called Ricky over "What's up Richie? Ready for our last soccer game before you leave"

"Of course, I can't leave without kicking your butts, can I?"

"We'll see about that" The boy chuckled

Ricky turned to Isabela "I have to go look for my lucky shirt. I'll see you tomorrow" He smiled and took off before Isabela could get more answers.

She had no choice but to go home

"What took you so long sweetie?" Julieta stood in the kitchen, her hands covered in flour.

"Sorry, I got a little busy talking to the Gomez'...Did you know that they're going to Mexico?"

"Oh yeah, I heard about it this morning from your grandmother"

"She knew about it?"

"Yes" Alma walked in

Isabela startled a bit at the sudden appearance

Abuela sat down "I've been too wrapped around some matters that I'd totally forgotten to tell you all"

"Tell us what?" Camilo and Mirabel peeked their lousy heads in

"That the Gomez' family is taking a trip to their hometown in Mexico"

"Really? So are we going to be getting our fruit from somewhere else in the meantime?" Mirabel asked, after all she was in charge for the most part of doing the shopping.

"No. Elena is going to be in charge of the stand while they're away"

The wheels were turning in Isabela's head as abuela spoke

"She isn't going?" Camilo sounded surprised "Who would want to work instead of vacationing? Are they making her stay? Because that's awful"

"She actually wanted to take care of the business" Abuela shrugged "But she's young and leaving her alone would concern any parent" She took a second to keep taking "That's why she's going to be staying at our home"

What had just happened? Isabela started to cough, and Mirabel didn't take long to get to her "Breathe".