Hazards

After a long search Dolores finally caught up with Isabela.

They had separated ten minutes ago through the dense forrest grounds and if it wasn't for Dolores' enhanced hearing the night's darkness would've made it imposible to find her.

"Isa?" Dolores questioned the broken bracelet and the small piece of paper her cousin clutched on the ground.

"It's Elena's bracelet, the one I gave her" Isabela frowned, worry lines forming across her forehead "Read this" She handed her the paper with a shaky hand.

'Now you know what happens when a girl defies me, test me again and she won't be so...present, let's say.
Hear the water running? I think you should too, if you want to find her that is."

"This is a-" Dolores stopped herself and looked around with uncertainty, now it wasn't the time for inquiries.
"Hear the water running..." She muttered, thinking it through. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the sounds surrounding her.

Some howls from afar, the soft rustling leaves to her right, the buzzing of nocturnal wildlife.

Water, she focused.

The sound of a nearby creek took over her senses, she could picture it in detail as the water ran rapidly crashing against the rocks.

Dolores opened her eyes with a small gasp
"Do you trust me?"

Isabela nodded without hesitation to immediately follow her cousin's lead.

°

Isabela's heart filled with dread as the powerful rushing creek came into view.

They could only rely on the moonlight for visibility which wasn't much of a help.

"We're going to find her" Dolores reassured her cousin, feeling the heavy distress coming off from her.

As if on cue a grunt came from the other side of the creek, too quiet for Isabela to hear.

"We have to go around-"

Isabela shook her head and for a moment Dolores was confused on what she meant until her cousin plunged into the freezing water "I-it's faster if we cross it"

Dolores quickly pulled her skirts up and wandered into the creek, the icy water numbing her feet up to the moment they reached the other side.

Isabela ignored the clanking of her teeth and the uncomfortable sogginess of her clothes, her mind was only focused on getting to Elena.

"Wait" Dolores ran behind her, her heavy wet dress slowed her down.

"Can you hear her?" Isabela asked with desperation and Dolores instantly searched for any sounds.

A minute passed by, then another, and another...Until,

"I...I hear her!" Dolores' eyes brightened up with hope as she picked up on a heartbeat that wasn't Isabela's.

She followed the comforting sound of life, taking Isabela's hand to guide her through the obscured path.

°