Chapter 10

Kim Jennie

I couldn't take it anymore. The way Eunsoo was eye-fucking Taehyung made my insides stir. That, along with Junseo giving me questioning looks. I had to get out of here. When everyone seemed occupied with conversations, i slipped out of the back. The cold air stung my face, but i finally felt like I could breath.

A couple of minutes later, I heard Taehyung's voice. "Jennie? What are you doing out here?"

I shook my head. I was so upset. I didn't know what to say because I had no right to be angry. He really didn't do anything wrong.

"Jennie?"

I heard the door close, then footsteps approaching as they crunched against the snow.

I cleared my throat. "I just needed to get some fresh air. It's a bit crowded in there."

I felt his presence at my back. His warmth and smell shot straight through me. I wasn't sure how much longer I could play this game. Someone was bound to get hurt, and it would probably be me.

"Jennie. I had no idea Junseo invited Eunsoo."

I swallowed my emotions and turned to face him. "You don't owe me an explanation. I mean, I am only here because your mom invited me. Right?"

The hurt look on his face surprised me. He took a step back like i punched him. "I guess so."

"I'm just your little brother's annoying ex-girlfriend that you can't seem to get rid of." I laughed nervously, hoping to hide how I really felt.

He shook his head. "That's not true."

"Look, you don't have to spare my feelings anymore. I know how you feel about me. How you've always felt."

He talked through his gritted teeth. "You don't know anything."

"No? Then tell me. Why am I here, Taehyung?" When he didn't respond, I had my answer. "Exactly. Go fuck Eunsoo, take her to the wedding for all I care. Then at least I'll be out of your hair."

Instead of walking back inside like I thought he would, Taehyung walked off the porch, into the backyard. I stood there, confused and frozen in place, as i watched Taehyung disappear into the woods.

I heard the door open and quickly wiped a tear from my cheek. Mrs. K stepped out, closing the door behind her. Wrapping her blanket around her shoulders, she let out a sigh. The school in the air turning her breath into a cloud of smoke.

"He does love you. You know that, right?"

I nodded and cleared my throat. "Junseo and i will always love each other in some way."

She shook her head. "Not Junseo, Taehyung."

"I..." I behan to speak but had no idea what to say. I could only imagine what Mrs. K thought of me, jumping from one son to another. Granted, that wasn't really what was happening, but still I felt embarrassed.

"Jennie, sweetie, I love you like a daughter. I only want you to be happy." She sighed as she stared at the woods. "Taehyung has always been my hard-headed, stubborn boy. A pain in my ass, really." She lowered her voice as if he would hear.

I couldn't help but laugh as tears filled my eyes. I didn't know why I was so upset. It wasn't like we were together or anything. I was just his date for the wedding.

"Taehyung may be a lot of things, but the one thing he isn't, is dishonest. The way he looks at you makes my heart swell."

I shook my head. "It's not that easy."

"Of course it is." She spoke like the statement was obvious. "If you want him, tell him. Who cares about Eunsoo, Junseo or anyone thinks? They are not in the relationship. You are."

I didn't respond. I felt like I was standing there forever, just soaking in her words.

"Come here." She opened her arms, the blanket spread out wide. I settled into a warm hug that almost immediately calmed my nerves. "Don't worry about Junseo, or me, or even Taehyung. Decided what you want. If it's Taehyung, tell him. If it's not Taehyung, tell him."

She gave me that motherly look that said, I don't care what your decision is, just make a decision. I nodded, thanked her, and ran down the stairs into the woods. With the light dusting of snow that fell, it was easy to find Taehyung. I just followed the footsteps. He was leaning against a large oak tree, watching as snow tumbled off the tree branches around him. He turned his head as soon as I got close.

"Jennie." He called my name like he was exhausted. "I don't want to do this right now."

I almost turned around, but Mrs. K was right. Even if Taehyung didn't have romantic feelings for me, it was better to know now.

I slowly walked closer, fidgeting with my hands and calm my nerves. "I'm sorry for what I said before."

He shook his head like he was about to tell me not to worry about it. I kept talking before he could.

"I know your mom isn't the only reason you agreed to bring me to the wedding. You wanted to be polite. I'm your brother's ex. Your parents love me. We are sort of friends..." I trailed off, not really knowing where I was going with this.

"I don't want to be just your friend, Jennie." He let out a breathy laugh as he ran his hand through his hair. "I want to be your everything. I've wanted you from the first time I saw you. The very first time you walked through that damn door."

"Taehyung..." I whispered his name.

"But, you were Junseo's girlfriend. I did everything i could to get you out of my head. Including acting like an ass. But when I saw you at that bar. All those feelings came flooding back like no time had passed at all."

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Was this really happening? I knew I needed to say something, but i couldn't think of a single word. It was like the whole Korean language left my brain.