Chapter 56: It Chose You

Y/N's P.O.V

Gwen and I make it back to the base and walk inside.

She is back inside with the other's.

Right now I'm on the rooftop looking out over the city.

A city I was never supposed to protect. The city Peter was supposed to protect.

I can't stop thinking about what Miguel told me. I was supposed to be the Prowler this whole time.

Just then I hear Pete.

Peter: Hey, kid.

Y/N: I told you to stop calling me that.

Peter: Right. Sorry. I overheard your talk with Miguel.

Y/N: I'm surprised you didn't know already. You seemed to know everything else.

Peter: Yeah. I'm so sorry I lied to you. I thought I was protecting you.

He comes over to me.

Peter: I mean I'm your mentor, that's my job. My job is to protect you, but I failed. I failed you.

Y/N: Man, my head is all over the place. Maybe Miguel's right, maybe I'm just a kid who has no idea what he's doing.

I step away.

Y/N: If I hadn't been bitten by that stupid spider in the first place none of this would happening. Peter and Barry would still be alive and this city would have the right Spider-Man protecting it.

I turn to face him.

Y/N: I'm no hero. I'm just a kid who got bit by a spider.

Peter: I don't think that spider bit you. I think it chose you.

Y/N: But I'm not like you, Peter or Miguel. I wasn't supposed to get my powers.

Peter: That's what Miguel says. But you're better, because you can inspire people in a way that neither Miguel or I could. Watching over your city like a guardian angel, making a difference. Saving people.

Y/N: I don't know, man.

Peter: I know and that's okay. Look, I hope after this is all done you'll wanna be around me. I know I hurt you and I'm sorry, but I want you in my life and I know Mayday does too. So, are we good?

I think for a moment, then nod.

Y/N: Yeah, Pete. We're good.

He and I clapse hands and hug.

Peter: I really did miss you, buddy.

Y/N: I missed you too.

We pull away.

Y/N: Look, I'll go back down with you, but I still some time to think. So, can you go and keep the others working. We need find Spot.

Peter: I'm on it. You get your head on straight.

We leaves and leave downstairs.

(Ten minutes later)

I'm sat in one of the back rooms just thinking.

What Peter said did help, but I still feel like a fraud. I feel like a fake.

I look up and see dad come into the room with Lucky.

Lucky jumps up onto my lap.

James: Hey, kiddo.

Y/N: Hey, dad. Where's mum?

James: With the other Spider-People. We saw a pig in a Spider-Man suit. Was that real?

Y/N: Yeah, it's weird.