Chapter 63

Angie scrambles to finish putting her hair into a ponytail to contain her curls. She's let it grow out since the summer. Now, it's halfway down her back.

As she exits the bathroom, Eddie calls for her as he fixes his hair in the mirror, "Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Steve is gonna take me again today."

"Alright," He returns to his room to put on shoes.

She hears the knock on the door, "Shit." she mutters, spinning in circles as she tries to find her backpack. She's been so busy that she hasn't really had time to clean.

There's another knock, a bit louder this time.

"Just a second!" She yells, rushing into the kitchen where she spots her bag leaning against a leg of the dining table.

Quickly, she slings it over her shoulder and dashes to the front door, swinging it open.

She smiles widely, spotting Steve in his work uniform.

He returns it instantly, "Hey, beautiful."

"Hey, handsome." She leans in, closing the distance between their lips.

He gazes down at her in admiration, "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," She nods, following him to the car. He opens the passenger door, allowing her to slip inside. She grabs her pillow, throwing it to the back. Steve took one of hers from his house to keep in his car because her neck was sore after falling asleep in the passenger seat one night.

As they head towards Robin's house to pick her up for school, Angie stares distantly out her window. Her thoughts are swarming, causing her to be quieter than usual.

Steve assumes that she's just tired until she unwillingly lets out a sigh. He extends a hand, placing it onto her own, stopping her fiddling, "Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing," She mumbles.

Steve scoffs softly.

"What?" She questions, sassily turning to face him.

"Nothing," He mocks.

She smirks, annoyed but mildly pleased by his joke.

He smiles in return, "Now, really," he squeezes her hands a little tighter, "What's bothering you?"

Angie sighs, "I just can't stop thinking about Max."

"Yeah," he admits softly, his gaze drifting, "me neither."

"I feel terrible. I swore that I would connect with her– that I wouldn't let her shut me out. But then school started, and I was swarmed with homework and scholarships and college, and I completely blocked out everything else." She rants.

"Hey," he scolds mildly, "that isn't your fault. I think we all could've done more to help... we all let her drift away."

Angie tears up a little, "I know. I just– because of– I feel like she's my responsibility, and I failed her. I mean– in another life... she would've been my sister."

Steve steadily pulls into Robin's driveway, putting the car in park. He turns to face her, gently gripping her chin, "This isn't on you, okay?"

She stares into his firm gaze, nodding softly.

He gazes at her for a moment more, inspecting her features for her tells. Leaning over the center console, he places a reassuring kiss on her forehead.

Robin grumbles a little as she enters the back seat, tossing Angie's pillow to the other side. She quickly buckles her seat belt as Steve pulls out of the drive, heading towards the school.

"How are you this morning, Robin?" Angie attempts, knowing that she tends to be a bit grumpy in the mornings.

"Oh, I'm just great. It's 7 in the morning, we have this stupid pep rally, my mirror is cracked, and I woke up looking like a total corpse!"

"You're worried about a pep rally?" Steve butts in, "You expect us to believe that?"

"Yeah? So?"

"So we all know what this is really about." He exclaims.

"Viiickieee." Angie teases, giggling to herself.

"Absolutely not." Robin denies.

"It is." He argues, "And you know what else?"

"I don't care–"

"You've gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. You just gotta be yourself."

"You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that?" Robin passes.

Angie coughs, attempting to cover up her laughter.

"Well, maybe you just need to listen to yourself. Did you ever think about that?"

"I listened. Now, look at me." He gestures to Angie in the passenger seat, "Boom. Back in business."

Robin stubbornly replies, "That's not the same thing. Okay?"

"Well..." Angie begins, taking Steve's side on this.

"Don't you start." She points, cutting her off, "Look," she begins again, taking a deep breath, "You ask out a girl," she gestures to Steve, "and she says no. Big deal. Nothing happens. Maybe your ego's a little bruised... I ask out the wrong girl and bam, I'm a town pariah."

"Alright," Steve tilts his head in consideration, "I'd buy that, except Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl."

"Steve," Angie begins, knowing that he's pressing a nerve.

"We just don't know that, do we?"

"She returned Fast Times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds." He reasons, "You know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds? People who like boobies, Robin."

"Ew! Gross." She exclaims, "Don't say boobies."

"Boobies." Steve teases, knowing she's irritated, "It's not a big deal, okay? I like boobies. You like boobies. Vickie likes boobies. Definitely... It's boobies."

Angie cowers in her seat, growing uncomfortable with the conversation.

Steve pulls into the school parking lot. Robin jumps out, calling after one of her friends. Angie grabs her backpack from the backseat as Steve opens the door for her.

She exits a bit clumsily, her foot catching on the seat. Steve chuckles a bit to himself.

A teacher gazes across the crowd, "To the gym everyone!" She shouts, "Pep rally!"

Steve walks Angie in, finding her a seat in the gym. She places her bag down behind her as she settles in.

Max enters, glancing at them briefly before finding a seat of her own.

Angie's heart aches as she observes the red-haired girl.

Steve places a gentle hand on the small of her back, grabbing her attention.

She shifts, looking up at him.

"Remember what I said, yeah?"

She nods softly.

"This isn't your fault." He mutters, kissing her on the cheek as he bids her goodbye.