Chapter 20

"Where's your first-aid kit?"

"You're assuming that we have one?" Angie attempts a laugh, but it causes a wince instead as her rib is probably broken.

"I've seen your brother get in plenty of fights with the other athletes." He states, looking around the bathroom, "You've gotta have a first-aid kit somewhere."

She raises her arm slightly to point below her, "It's under the sink.

Steve gently lifts her legs to the side and pulls out the clear container filled with everyday medical supplies.

Before starting, he inspects her injuries. The black and purple splotches across her face, and assumingmost of her torso, cause guilt to cover his features. Angie spots it immediately, causing her gaze to divert to the tile floor, pretending she never noticed it in the first place.

"This is probably gonna-"

"Sting? Yeah, I know. I'm the one that did this for my brother after all those fights." Angie shifts under Steve's concerned gaze, "You..." She sighs, swallowing hard, "You don't have to say anything. I um... I probably deserved all this." She gestures to the bruising.

"Hey," Steve lifts her chin to reveal her face, "nobody deserves to be beat like this. Not even-"

"The freak." Angie slowly removes his hand from her face, allowing it to fall gently beside her.

He clears his throat, hurt by her action, "I was gonna say a sarcastic asshat." Steve attempts to lighten the mood, smiling a little when a small grin appears upon her face. It was only there for a few seconds. If he'd have blinked, he would've missed it. However, he did see it, and it made his heart soar to do something good for her after pretending for so long.

"Yeah, well, maybe the sarcastic asshat did deserve it." She shrugs uncomfortably, looking down at Steve's hand that was placed upon the edge of the sink. It was trembling in nervousness. Every few seconds, he'd notice and grip the corner until his knuckles went white. She watches in curiosity, but doesn't draw too much attention as Steve begins disinfecting the cuts across her cheekbone, nose, and eyebrow.

However, all Steve could really focus on was being this close to her. It was making his heart beat faster than it probably ever has. The fear of messing up was seriously screwing with his head.

He was debating starting up a conversation, but she said that he didn't have to talk about it. But, then again, she said that he didn't have to talk about what just happened. Does that mean that he can't talk about other things? Steve was overthinking... if it wasn't already obvious.

Luckily, Angie begins a conversation.

She clears her throat awkwardly, "Is it true? You know, what you said about Nancy?"

This catches him off guard. Of all things to talk about, he didn't expect her to choose that, "Uh,"

"Sorry," she instantly retracts, "I know that you still love her. Even if-"

"I do still love Nancy. I think I always will," Steve admits almost sadly, "but not like I used to. Overtime, I think I've come to terms with how she is without me. I-I mean, Byers seems to keep her safe and happy... more than I ever did. So... I guess that's all I can wish for, you know? I-I've moved on. There's no point in holding on to something that isn't even there."

"Yeah," Angie mumbles, still glancing down at his hand as it grips the counter in an uneasy rhythm. However, the more she watches it, the more it begins to bother her. Knowing that it means he is bothered by something, bothers her as well unless she can make it right.