Chapter 26

"Hey, kiddo."

"Hey, Uncle Wayne." Eddie returns the hug in greeting but holds on for dear life as if his uncle is a saving grace.

Wayne didn't need his nephew to use words to understand what Eddie was trying to get across. He knew how he felt simply by the way he was greeted when he entered their home.

But in all honesty, it didn't feel like a home to him. He was hardly ever there, and it's one of his biggest regrets. Especially in moments of need such as this because he would be greater help if he was around his niece and nephew more.

"So... what should we do first?" Eddie sniffles softly as he releases from the hug.

"Well, you said that she went south on the highway, didn't you?"

Eddie nods, "Yeah, as far as I know."

"So, we'll start there... Do we have any maps?"

"No, but there's some at the library."

"Well, then let's get going to the library. We'll take my truck."

[?]

"Welcome to Birdare County." Angie mumbles aloud at the deserted-looking sign for the town she's found herself in.

Since leaving home, she's decided that she's going to go on a mini road trip across Indiana. At the time, it seemed to be the safest option until she deems it safe to go back home.

Angie's stomach rumbles as she hasn't actually eaten all day, and she assumes it's already late afternoon.

She walks the deserted streets until she finds a small dinner, "Mama Dines," an odd name.

When she opens the door, the bell echoes throughout the small building. It isn't empty by any means, but it lacks laughter or much noise; it lacks any true signs of life.

"What can I do for you, hun?" A fatter woman asks. She seems somehow bored of Angie, and she hasn't even said anything yet.

"Do you have a menu I can look at?" She questions politely.

The woman doesn't answer, just flashes a menu in front of her eyes for Angie to look at.

There honestly isn't much, but it is a small town, so it probably isn't necessary.

"Excuse me." Angie stops the older woman as she comes back around, "Can I just have a pancake?"

"A flap jack?"

"Yeah," She laughs uncomfortably.

"Surething, hun. Find a seat."

Angie wanders to the back of the establishment. There's a lot fewer people there, so she feels more comfortable finding a small booth there.

"Here you go, hun."

"Thank you."

After finishing her pancake, Angie pays and leaves the small diner to explore more of Birdare County.

She desperately needs to find a place to sleep because her back is in ruin from sleeping in that field. This time, it needs to be a bed.

Angie wanders for about a half hour and begins to get worried that she's lost in the residential areas of the small town. Luckily, she finds an almost rundown motel close to the other end of Birdare.

When she enters, there isn't anyone at the front desk, so she rings the silver bell on the counter.

"It's been a few weeks since we've had anyone new come through town." A sweet old man hobbles to the counter, "It's nice to see a new face every once in a while."