Chapter 48

They reconvene in the projector room on the theatre.

Dustin relentlessly tries to get ahold of anyone on the Cerebro.

For minutes of nonstop repeats, they don't get a response.

This is worrying on a new level because that could mean that they're in trouble too.

"I repeat... this is a code red!"

They're about to lose hope when there's a response on the other end of the line, "Dustin?"

"Mike?"

"Dustin!"

"Mike!" He looks to Angie with a wide grin, "Oh my God, you have to listen. I know I've been MIA, and I'm sorry, it's not because I'm mad." He pauses, "I mean, I actually was mad, but it's also because I was trapped underground in a secret Russian base. I—"

"Dustin, you're going way too fast. I can't understand you." Mike states as Dustin's voice in overcome with static.

"... I know that sounds insane, but the Russians have infiltrated Hawkins! The goddamn Russians!"

"And now— they're using— to open the gate."

"Dustin, you're— you're breaking up."

"... and now they're after us, and we don't have a way out of here, so I need you to come and get us. Can Nancy drive?"

"Dustin, you're cutting out."

"Mike?" He questions as they lose connection.

"Dustin, you there?"

"Mike? Mike, do you copy?"

"Dustin—"

A red light flashes on the Cerebro as the batteries run out.

"Agh, Dustin." Angie sinks further to the floor, "Do you have any new batteries?"

"No, I don't think so."

They run back to their seats in the theatre, "Do you have any batteries? Double-A?"

Erica looks at him with confusion, "Why would I have batteries?"

"I always carry batteries."

"Except for now!" Angie scolds him with a whisper, "When we actually need them!"

"Well, I have some!" He defends himself, "but I need eight."

"Eight?!"

"Shit," He cusses himself softly, "I guess we'll have to go to plan B."

"Plan B? What's plan B?"

He opens his mouth to respond when he notices the empty seats that were previously occupied by Robin and Steve, "Where... are they?"

Before Erica can try to defend herself, Dustin and Angie are out of their seats and rushing towards the back of the theatre.

Meanwhile...

"The ceiling stopped spinning for me. Is it still spinning for you?"

He looks up groggily, "Holy shit. No... Do you think we puked it all up?"

"Maybe." She lies with her feet in the air, "Ask me something. Interogate me."

"Okay." He sits up, "Interogate you. Sure, um... When was the last time you, uh, peed your pants?"

"Today."

"What?"

"When the Russian doctor took out the bone saw." She explains with wide eyes as she recalls the memory.