Chapter 42

"I mean, you have to admit, as a feat of engineering alone, this is impressive." Dustin gazes upon the structure surrounding them.

"What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard." Steve immediately shuts him down, "There's no stairs, there's no exit, there's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell."

"They're Commies. You don't pay people, they cut corners." Erica says in a tone that mocks the others.

"To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking." Angie points out drowsily.

"Think about it," Robin continues upon her idea, "they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo."

"It all comes into the mall like any old delivery..."

"And then they load it up onto those trucks, and nobody's the wiser."

"You think they built this whole mall just so they could transport that green poison?" Steve questions curiously.

"I very seriously doubt it's something as boring as poison." Dustin inquires, "It's gotta be much more valuable, like promethium or something."

"What the hell is promethium?"

"It's what Victor Stone's dad used to make Cyborg's bionic and cybernetic componenets." Robin adds.

"You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." Erica almost gags.

"Yeah, like you're any different." Angie mumbles.

Steve instantly tries to separate himself, "No, no, no. No, don't lump me in with them. I'm not a nerd, alright?"

"Why so sensitive, Harrington?"

"Yeah," Angie crosses her arms over her chest, "Have you got something against nerds?"

He tries to defend himself but is interrupted again.

"Are you afraid of losing cool points to a ten year old child?"

"No, I'm just saying I don't know jack shit about Prometheus."

"Promethium." Dustin corrects, "Prometheus is a Greek mythological figure, but whatever. All I'm saying is, it's probably being used to make something."

"Or power something." Angie mumbles from a pace behind the rest of the group.

"Like a nuclear weapon?"

"Totally."

"I don't see why not."

"We're walking towards a nuclear weapon. That's great." Steve complains sarcastically, "That'd be great."

"But if they're building something– like Angie suggested– why here?" Robin throws her hands up in thought, "I mean, Hawkins. Seriously? Of all places? At the very best, we're a toilet stop on your way to Disneyland, but maybe that's it. Maybe it's our very..."

The boys and Angie stop in thought.

Angie is noticeably struggling to breathe, and the fact that there's no fresh air is making it worse.

"You think the Russians know?" Dustin asks. "About–"

"They could."

"So it's connected?"

"Maybe."

"How?"

"I don't know, but–"

Angie cuts him off, barely making words anymore, "Guys... what if it's... another opening?"