Chapter 34

"Hi,"

"Hi,"

"I'm Dustin."

"I'm Robin."

"Pleasure to meet you," He smiles, "Is he uh– he here?"

"Is who here?"

Steve comes rushing out of the back door, "Henderson!" He jumps up and down with joy, "Henderson! He's back!"

"I'm back! You got the job!"

"I got the job!" He blows a fake trumpet, "Hey! Oh!"

They giggle as they participate in their own unique and nerdy handshake.

Robin sighs in the background, "How many children are you friends with?"

Steve gestures to her in a way that can only be interpreted as, "You see what I've had to deal with?"

Angie comes sliding into the store. Literally. She slid into a table and chair on the way in after slipping on the tile floor.

"Ow," She hisses, rubbing her shin, "Dude, I thought we agreed to wait for  each other. I locked my bike and turned to talk to you, but you weren't there." She whines like a child.

"Sorry, I just got excited." He admits with a happy shrug.

"I should've known." Angie twists her face in pain, taking a glance at her knee that collided with the edge of a chair when she slipped, "You two are basically inseparable."

"Yeah," Steve clears his throat, "Um, would you guys like some ice cream?"

"That sounds great, Steve." Dustin searches for an open booth.

He pauses and looks at Angie, who's begun inspecting her leg for more injuries, "Ange?"

She shoots up from her leg, "Yeah?"

"Would you uh like some ice cream?"

"Yeah, thanks. I'll have a–"

"Triple chocolate." He grins proudly, "Yeah, I know."

"Thank you."

He nods and struts behind the counter, "Hey, Robin?"

"Yes?" She peaks from behind the service window.

"Could you get their ice creams, please? I need to get something from the back."

"But I'm already in the back, so I–"

"Please, Robin. You wouldn't know where to find it."

"Fine," She groans childishly.

"What does the kid want?"

"Dustin wants a banana split and–"

"Angie wants a triple chocolate cone."

Steve smiles, "Thanks."

Robin scoops the ice cream and starts to deliver them when Steve returns from the back, "I've got it."

"Are you sure, Popeye?" She throws her hands onto her hips, "You just wanted me to scoop the ice cream? Maybe make you look like a knight in shining stripes?"

He rolls his eyes, "Thanks, Robin."

Carefully, he carries the ice cream to the table and presents it to them.

When he doesn't immediately take a place at the table, Dustin speaks up.

"Come, sit with us. We have something to tell you."

He immediately looks to Angie for an answer, which she doesn't give. She's more concerned with why Steve is bent down in front of her.

"Uh, Steve?"