Chapter 12

Angie rings her head up groggily, wincing as she places her fingers to where Billy's hands laid around her neck. It was definitely going to bruise, if it hadn't already.

Remembering their situation, she instantly takes in her surroundings. Not noticing Steve's head in her lap, she's stares widely at Max in the driver's seat.

"What are you doing?" she sticks her hand out, speaking low so she doesn't cause Max to panic.

"Driving."

Steve sits up slowly, awoken by her voice. Angie flinches slightly at the action, not seeing him beforehand.

"No, don't touch it." Dustin coos, taking Steve's hand away from his face, "Hey, buddy... It's okay. You guys put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight. You're okay. You're okay."

Steve groans loudly, his headache kicking in as he takes the ice pack from Dustin.

"Okay," Lucas directs from the passenger seat, eyes on the map, "you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai."

"What's going on?" Steve grumbles, barely audible from his busted lip. Then, he notices Max, her hands on the wheel, "Oh my God."

"Just relax. She's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot." Mike argues.

"That counts."

"Oh my God." he sits up quickly, his head ramming into Angie's temple causing them both to spout a line of cuss words.

"It's okay... They were gonna leave you guys behind."

"Oh my God."

"Why were you gonna leave me behind? I was on board with the whole arson thing." Angie counters, mildly hurt by his words.

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin attempts to soothe the two teens.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?"

Max rams her foot on the gas, speeding even more than before which makes both of them yell to stop her.

"Oh, my God. No! Holy shit! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down."

"I told you they'd freak out." Mike bickers through the two.

"Stop the damn car, Max!"

"Stop the car!"

"Everybody shut up!" Max silences them, "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai. Make a left." Lucas points urgently.

"What?"

"Make a left."

She swerves, demolishing a mailbox as she tries to make the sharp turn.

"Holy shit! I'm gonna puke." Angie gags lightly, covering her mouth with her elbow.

"Don't puke. Don't puke!" Steve begs, head still in her lap, "You puke, its gonna get in my hair!"

"It's not like you could look much worse than you do now, Steve!"

"Ouch,"

"It's true!"

"It'd take forever to get out!" he grabs onto her waist as they speed through a ditch and back onto the pavement.

"It's fine!" she screams, clinging to anything she can find, "You can just buy more of that Farrah Fawcett spray!"

"Hey! I told you not to tell anyone about that!"

"Holy shit!" she yells, covering her eyes as they run over the sign for the pumpkin patch, "It's not like you're gonna kill me! Max is probably gonna beat you to-"