Chapter 28

Angie rises from her bed at the motel and stretches loudly. She decides that today is the day that she should call home. It's only smart to let them know that she's okay and that she didn't get kidnapped or something.

First, however, she needs to buy some groceries for when she decides to hit the road.

After getting ready for the day, she heads down to the lobby.

"Bye, Don." She waves softly as he exits his office.

"Well, where are you headed off to this morning?"

"I'm going to buy some groceries for the road." Angie shrugs with a smile.

"Really? Well, then take this." He digs into his pocket and pulls out a $20 bill.

"Oh, no, I couldn't take your money." Angie pushes it back towards him, "You could use it for the future of your business."

"Honey, this business isn't going to be around for much longer. Heck! I'm not even going to be around for much longer... Let me go out doing something nice."

She hesitantly takes the dollar bill and places it in her jeans pocket, "Thank you so much. I'll use it well, I promise."

"I know you will. Now, go buy your groceries." He waves her out.

Once she enters the store, she grabs a small cart and goes past the produce section and towards the packaged goods instead. They tend to last longer, and they're cheaper.

Angie gazes through the isles, grabbing a few bags here and there: a box of granola bars, a bag of chips, a trail mix, and a pack of bottled water.

As she's entering the checkout line, a nicely dressed middle-aged man begins a conversation.

"That is quite the display of groceries."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Let me guess... you're going on a road trip." He points confidently.

"Yes, I am... actually."

"Well, where are you headed?"

"Uh, I'm not really sure... Excuse me, who are you?"

"I'm Jack McCain. Nice to meet you." He extends his hand to her.

She shakes it hesitantly.

"And you are..."

"Angelica... Munson."

"Well, Mrs. Munson, I believe today is your lucky day."

"And why is that?"

"Because I also happen to be heading on a road trip. Tomorrow, actually. And it just so happens that there's an open spot on our trip for another adventurer such as yourself."

Angie is definitely desperate... but she's not stupid. This could very well be a trap.

"Can I think about it?"

"Of course. If you do decide to join us, meet us about a block west of the diner tomorrow by three."

"I will possibly see you there." She hands the cashier the money.

Angie feels slightly uneasy as she leaves the grocery store. Maybe it's because a total stranger offered to take her on her road trip... or maybe it's because she wasn't completely appalled.

But she was given a day, so for now, she's going to focus on letting her family know that she's okay.

[?]

"Steve, this is not the way to the bus... I'm going to be late."

"Yeah, but when you leave, I'm not going to have anyone to help me with this... situation."