9 R 1

We chatted some more – mostly about irrelevant things. I've informed Almoner about my plans to leave the next day. He eventually calmed down enough and fell asleep like a baby without single worry in his light head. In his defence, it was very comfortable. Even I passed out for few good hours.

I stuffed my face with groats and his grandma's sugary jam. I tried to go easy on it, but the kid hadn't lied. There's been an entire cellar full of it, ready to be consumed for years to come. The old lady has been prepared for this disaster and the next.

Didn't take any food with me. Starving was a norm and hauling ass with extra weight would become a problem eventually. However, I felt like I'd need some more mental aid during the trip, so I shamelessly stole tobacco rolled up in an old newspaper. They smelled reinforced with something extra. The kid was great with herbs.

Wrapped myself tight in the gifted coat and stepped into the damp chill. I was undecided about this little village. I didn't dislike it, but didn't feel right being here either. It was probably the people, but they were the problem everywhere. I was people.

I trotted down the path towards the wall, hoisted myself over and thread through the tall grass. Well-worn shoes got immediately soaked and I congratulated myself on a great start. Feeling of discomfort got heavier when I started having pinpricks of alarm at the back of my head too. Creature was being quiet, but I just knew he was creeping behind me. It was probably hard to miss an entire human clambering over an infirm structure in the morning stillness. I must have made enough noise to alert monsters in a village over. Might as well have shattered a window or two in the process.

There were noises of birds. Chirps, peeps and whistles. I was yet to see any. The trees were eerily still. Nothing jumped in the branches. Recently, the birds were strange even in the city. They stared lethargically and acted like they wanted to be eaten. Which wasn't a huge problem as monster meat had become big part of what's kept ravenous humanity fed these days.

I probably shouldn't be leading the way, I belatedly realised in the open fields. I only had vague direction and lifeless thicket ahead didn't look all that inviting. The ticking behind me was increasing in intensity and was audible even to my wanting ears. I was right then, something did lurk in the bush.

I needed to ask. Plead to be lead safely through. Didn't feel like talking to that lordly, invasive presence. There was a chance to stumble upon something nasty which would eat both of us in one gulp and if that didn't sound like a solution to an embarrassing mistake, I don't know what did.

From a slight elevation of dead stump I've spotted a road and changed direction. It went vaguely the right way and even narrowly avoided the brush. Good enough. I was sure I'd stumble upon a road sign sooner or later. I'll reorient myself then. Wasn't too worried – all roads had to lead to the regional capital, after all.

Hours passed, sun climbed to its zenith and glared down in full force. I glared back at it. I was drenched and beginning to feel tired. Monotonous marching was grating on my nerves. I wanted to move faster, but a jog would only exhaust me more in this trial of endurance. Car ride must have taken few hours tops. On foot it would be some two days if I'm lucky. And I never was.

Not to mention being stuck in my own company. Same three thoughts swirled round and round. I was forced to consider every possibility, however unlikely. There was nothing left to figure out on any of the annoying, irrelevant subjects. And yet...

I had to hurry and meet him before I've driven myself mad. I scrubbed sweat off my face and tripped over a stone. I needed to sit down. Roughly four hours ago. Didn't. Maybe I'd pass out tonight? That'd be glorious. But if I walked at night too, I would get there quicker.