25: Bittersweet Reunion

Start from the beginning

(Y/N) wrapped her arms around Stephanie's neck, shock still evident on her face, "What are you doing here?"

Stephanie pulled away to face (Y/N), arms still sitting on her waist, "Are you kidding me?!" she raised her brows, "I should be asking you that! Don't you know I've been worried sick?!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry," (Y/N) murmured but then her face contorted into a smile, "I'm so happy you're here, Stephanie."

"I'm happy you're alive!" Stephanie laughed and (Y/N) grimaced slightly, "But seriously what happened and why are you here." Stephanie's tone changed so fast it almost gave (Y/N) whiplash and she sheepishly looked away.

A sudden thought crossed her mind. Jeff. She couldn't tell Stephanie about him at all. Absolutely not after what she did.

Swallowing thickly, (Y/N) averted her eyes back at Stephanie and tried to change the subject subtly, "When did you start looking for me? You look rough."

Stephanie glared slightly, "I'm not even sure. Definitely over a week ago," she dodged her eyes to the side to peek at her discarded bag.

"What the fuck?!" (Y/N)'s eyes widened and she gripped the blonde woman by the shoulders, "How did you survive?! It's the middle of December for fuck's sake, Steph."

Stephanie rolled her eyes but then softened them as she peered at the (H/C) girl, "You've been missing for over a month now.. I had to do something. I collected camping supplies and hid them in the woods for a while until I was ready. Then I came to find you, (N/N)."

The breeze went through both of their hair and (Y/N) felt a chill go down her spine. She didn't know if it was from the cold or from the mention of camping. Her thoughts flashed briefly to the lifeless eyes of the man she killed. "It's been that long..?" she shook.

Stephanie nodded solemnly.

"Your parents have been worried sick.." Stephanie cupped a hand around (Y/N)'s cheek and stared at her intently. (Y/N) leaned in to her cold hand instinctively.

"(Y/N)," Stephanie began sternly, "What happened to you? Don't lie to me."

(Y/N) searched Stephanie's face but she knew the girl wasn't joking. Exhaling a short breath, she replied, "I just.. had to get away.."

"Get away? From what?"

"Just," (Y/N) swallowed, "Everything."

Stephanie sighed deeply. (Y/N)'s hands shook and she felt a pang of regret hit her heart. She didn't want to lie to her best friend but she had to protect Jeff. Protect herself, most of all. She's done unforgivable things, Stephanie doesn't deserve a best friend who is a murderer.

"(Y/N).." Stephanie ran her thumb along her jaw, causing tingles to go down her spine, "You could've just talked to me. If you're feeling bad enough to run away, and cause a scene at your house then this is definitely something you can confide with me about. I'm here for you.."

(Y/N) shuddered and she felt her eyes prick with tears. This was the most difficult thing she ever had to do. Casting away her own best friend..

"You just don't understand, Steph," she choked out.

"Then help me understand!" Stephanie's tone sounded desperate but upset. Her eyes were filled with worry and (Y/N) couldn't look her properly in the eye.

"I can't.." (Y/N) bit her lip, "This is something I have to deal with on my own."

Stephanie took her hands and shoved them through her hair, forking through it with a mixed feeling of helplessness and annoyance.

"(Y/N) I just want to help you! We've been best friends since we were little kids!" Stephanie's voice raised louder and (Y/N) flinched slightly.

(Y/N) twisted her head up and looked at the moon. It shone beautifully and for a second she felt as if she was back home, sitting on the rooftop with Steph and laughing about God knows what. (Y/N) frowned. Home was something she could never go back to.

A sigh knocked (Y/N) out of her stupor. "Look," Stephanie rubbed her forehead, "You don't have to tell me right now, let's just go home okay?" she held her hand out for (Y/N) to take.

Immediately, (Y/N) backed up and shook her head rapidly. "No, I can't." she objected.

Stephanie groaned, "(Y/N) come on!"

(Y/N) simply shook her head again, although tears threatened to spill any second. The day had been incredibly stressful and she just wanted to go to sleep and forget everything for the night.

Besides, Jeff could be coming back any second. If he saw Stephanie, things would turn out horribly, to put it lightly and (Y/N) couldn't have that. There was only one thing she knew she could do.

"Stephanie go home." she demanded.

Stephanie's face contorted into shock, "What?" she sputtered, brows contorting into confusion.

"I said go home. Please don't tell anyone where I am, just let me sort everything out first." (Y/N) softened her tone slightly when she noticed Stephanie's hurt face.

"Absolutely not! I'm not leaving without-"

"Stephanie please!" (Y/N) blurted out, two stray tears escaping despite her desperate effort to keep them in.

Stephanie quieted down and nothing could be heard between the girls besides the howls of the wind and the rustling of the forest beside them. After a minute of silence, Stephanie breathed out shakily and stepped closer to the crying girl.

"Don't cry.." she reached up and used her thumbs to wipe away (Y/N)'s salty tears.

Stephanie, still keeping her hands on her cheeks, leaned in and placed a tentative kiss on (Y/N)'s wet cheek. Her lips lingered there for just a second before pulling away. (Y/N) felt a tug at her heartstrings and her face flushed.

"I'll go. I won't tell anyone. But listen to me," Stephanie said, "I will come back for you, you hear me? I'm not going to let you suffer alone."

(Y/N) didn't have the guts to tell her she wasn't alone. Although after Jeff's reaction, maybe she truly was. (Y/N) nodded and muttered a quiet thanks to Steph.

Stephanie half-smiled and took her hands away with a linger of hesitation. The chilly air prickled at the now empty space on (Y/N)'s face.

"I'll be back. See you very soon, (N/N)."

With that, Stephanie walked off the porch, retrieved her bag and sauntered off until she was out of sight in the grim expanse of the night.

(Y/N) heaved out a breath she didn't know she was holding and gripped her arms tight. She disregarded the long forgotten mug and entered the somber house once again.

The day was so hectic, it was unbearable and truly the only thing (Y/N) cared about right now was fading away into sleep. Enough worrying about Jeff and enough of the new found worry that is Stephanie. She could think about everything after resting and tossing aside all her stress and worry for one night.

(Y/N) tumbled into the living room and haphazardly ditched her jacket somewhere off to the side. She didn't bother to check.

Throwing herself onto the couch, she brought a cushion close to her and shoved her head into it. (Y/N) closed her eyes and finally loosened up her stiff muscles so she could sleep. All of her limbs felt heavy and tired. Slowly her body relaxed and yet, in this new sense of peace, she felt sad. So incredibly sad.

(Y/N) scrunched her face up and allowed her soft cries to lull her into a dreamless sleep.

A/N: Sorry for the super late update angels! I've been busy the past 2 weeks and then I slashed my thumb across the entire length so writing has been a struggle. This chapter took me a few days to write! Hope you enjoyed <3