11: Tension

Awkward silence has never been (Y/N)'s forté. She would much rather be messing around engaging in silly conversations. However, the presence of a serial killer in her own home prevented her from doing any of that. An hour passed since they started watching TV, a random drama show playing, and its been an hour since both of them uttered a word.

(Y/N) fiddled with the ends of her hair and cracked her knuckles in the growing pit in her stomach. Releasing a breath, she decided to cut the silence, her antsy nature not allowing her to be quiet anymore.

"So why did you come to this town anyway?" she said, eyes still locked onto the screen.

Jeff turned his head slightly in the girls direction and shrugged nonchalantly, "It's close enough to my place." At this, (Y/N) lost interest in the show completely, raising her brows in surprise and turning to Jeff entirely.

"Wait your place? How do you have a place? Are you not on the run?" she asked bewildered.

"Well it isn't my place technically. Let's just say I use this couples holiday cabin for majority of the year. House warming if you will." Jeff snickered at his own choice of words and grinned slightly.

"They let you? Where do you go when they come on vacation?" (Y/N) kept asking, intrigued by the murderers living habits. Jeff hollered loudly at her, causing the poor girl to flinch hard.

"Of course they don't let me, sweetheart. They're just old and stupid and pay for all the appliances year round. As for what I do when they come? It's no biggie for me to just leave for 2 weeks or whatever. I've been homeless before." Jeff's laughter dwindled out by the end and a more serious expression dawned on his face.

(Y/N) made an 'O' shape with her mouth and nodded in understanding. Unsure of what to say, she just stayed silent. Surprisingly, Jeff decided to ask a question first this time, "Where are your parents?"

"On a business trip. I'm actually surprised they haven't called me. They usually do." she pondered, a hand combing through her hair.

"Any siblings?" Jeff continued after nodding at her previous answer. (Y/N) shook her head no. "Cool. I had a brother once."

(Y/N) raised a brow at this, his terminology confusing her. He had a brother once. Assuming it was personal, she decided not to prod, in fear he would lash out at her. "Nice! I wish I had siblings sometimes even if I do enjoy being a single child."

"Siblings aren't all that, girly. You're better off this way." Jeff scoffed, an unpleasant look present on his face. "Maybe so." she agreed.

A somewhat comfortable silence hung over the two for a few minutes before Jeff exclaimed, "Alright can I get out of this chair now? It's been like 2 days and my entire body is fucking killing me."

"No" (Y/N) snapped back.

"I swear to fucking god I won't do shit to you. I'll prove it to you. Just let me out for fucks sake." Jeff groaned and frowned deeply. (Y/N) considered it for a few minutes. He did say he wouldn't kill her in return for her protection from the police. But that could all be a lie. On the other hand, he can't stay like this forever and (Y/N) has his weapons.

"Fine. But I'm gonna keep my gun on you. Just incase." she warned pulling out her pistol and making sure his knife is secure. Aiming the gun at him, she went to the back of his chair and lifted her other hand to take the rope off.

Her hand stopped dead in its tracks when she noticed the rope was already loose. "What the fuck is this? How?" the (H/C) girl was speechless as she watched Jeff shake off the rope entirely and stretched his arms high into the air. Her eyes wide and mouth agape.

"I told you I would prove it to you, sweetheart. I loosened it this morning while you were eating. Shit was tight as fuck I'm not gonna lie." Standing up from the chair, the black haired man took a long awaited stretch, his joints cracking with every movement he made. "Holy fuck that felt good. So you believe me now? I won't kill you, just keep your end of the deal."

(Y/N) forgot that the man was taller than her, his form encasing hers making her feel small compares to the ruthless killer. Swallowing slowly, she calmed her nerves and lowered her gun. He was free for hours and hasn't killed her. This gave her enough confidence to at least trust him in that regard. That doesn't mean she will keep her guard down though.

"So.. what are you gonna do now? You're free you don't have to stay here anymore." (Y/N) fiddled with her thumbs nervously, feeling much more nervous that he was now released than previously.

"Imma keep an eye on you. When's your friend back?" Jeff massaged his sore limbs as he spoke.

"Day after tomorrow, why?" she asked. Jeff nodded, "Then I'll leave then." He threw himself on the couch with a sigh, immediately relishing in the new found comfort.

"What?! But why not now?!" she yelled, frustrated, watching the man sink into her couch deeper and deeper. "I'm keeping an eye on you as I said." he said gruffly.

(Y/N) rubbed her forehead in thought. It was just for another day and a bit. It was fine, she could manage. "Fine, whatever. No funny business." she grumbled.

"Yes ma'am!" Jeff bellowed, forever amused by himself. Peering at the clock, (Y/N) saw it was only 3pm and sighed in displeasure. Walking into the kitchen and pouring herself some juice, she thought deeply while peering at the rough man. In this state, he didn't seem so scary minus his scarred face. (Y/N) knew better than to drop her guard; his temper got the better of him and she didn't want another near death experience. She squinted and gulped down the juice.

Strolling back to the couch, she peeked at the man. His form was frozen still but his eyes were wide open and glassy. Long, slow breaths expanded his chest in rhythm. He was asleep. (Y/N) drew a breath, she could finally have some peace and relax for a while.

Grabbing a book from the bookshelf near the TV, she snuggled back onto the armchair adjacent to the couch. Flipping the cover open, she breathed in and found comfort in the smell of the book. Reading was one of her favourite ways to pass time, getting lost in the words and imagining lands she could only dream to visit.

Just for a moment, she could forget Jeff.