25: Bittersweet Reunion

(Y/N) kneeled in the grass for what felt like eternity. In reality only an hour had passed, and yet no more tears passed in over 30 minutes. Snow piled up around her and soaked her back, forming a small stack which ,in other circumstances, would be comical. A deep frown stretched across (Y/N)'s face and a horrible, relentless lump lingered in her stomach.

Forcing a breath out, (Y/N) decided enough was enough and there was no reason for her to torture herself out in the cold. The sun was slowly disappearing behind the horizon, early as winter loomed.

Jeff has made no appearance since he left and (Y/N) did not care to look for him. Her face was freezing and the once wet tear stains now felt solid. She painfully got to her feet, her body feeling stiff and sore. Perhaps a cup of warm tea would help her ignore her aching heart.

Trudging through the snow, albeit not too high, was difficult to tread especially as (Y/N)'s legs felt like lead. Luckily the house was not far from where (Y/N) and Jeff were just an hour earlier. (Y/N) shook her head and entered the empty home.

Darkness spread around her and (Y/N) fumbled for the light switch. Finding the elusive switch, she flicked it and the room illuminated her surroundings at once. Everything was normal and untouched. (Y/N)'s shoulders slumped and with downcast eyes, made her way into the kitchen to set up the kettle.

She poured the water in and set it to heat up. Leaning on the counter, (Y/N) rested her chin on her hand. Silence felt even quieter than ever before and without Jeff's non stop chatter, the air felt heavy.

The monotone drone of the kettle knocked (Y/N) out of her thoughts, loudly disrupting the deafening silence. (Y/N) matched the noise by sighing exasperatedly and grabbed a cup and tea bag out of a cupboard. She poured in the water and added everything that she liked into it before taking the steaming mug and heading out to the porch.

The porch lights and the moon were the only thing (Y/N) was able to see among the stretched out darkness. Even the trees looked like a mass, black void waiting to swallow anyone who dared to enter. (Y/N) wondered if Jeff let himself get swallowed too.

(Y/N) gingerly leaned against the porch fence and held her up her mug to her lips before blowing away some of the steam drifting atop it. She took a careful sip and felt warmth and delight at the sweet, soothing liquid going down her throat. A small smile appeared at her lips before disappearing again when a noise went past her ears. It was barely audible but she was sure she didn't imagine it.

(Y/N) squinted her eyes and tried to look into the vast expanse, only to fail as it was just too dark to see anything. Maybe it was Jeff, she thought. Her heart picked up speed and she clutched the mug in nervous anticipation. Her eyes were trained onto the furthest point she could see, scanning around with a mixture of fear and relief.

(Y/N) gasped.

Out of the dark, the last person she ever thought she would see unveiled themself. Stephanie heaved a backpack through the snow. Her blonde hair was tangled and messy and her appearance was definitely roughed up. Small scratches and dirt adorned her face and clothes, and steam puffed up around her from her rapid breathing. Looking up at the house, she immediately spotted (Y/N) who held her mouth agape. Stephanie's mouth also opened and her eyes were wide but gained a twinkle that wasn't present before. No words were spoken for a few beats.

"Stephanie?" (Y/N) whispered.

(Y/N) never received an answer as before she knew it, Stephanie shrugged off her bag onto the snow covered floor and ran up the rest of the way before knocking right into (Y/N), enveloping her around her waist in a deathly grip. The force caused (Y/N)'s drink to go flying out of her hands and out into the snow, disappearing within.