2: Domino Effect

Morning came faster than (Y/N) ever would've thought. Her alarm blared relentlessly, echoing through the small space of her room. Reaching her hand out lazily, she found the 'stop' button and pressed it. Groaning, she lifted herself and propped herself up on her elbows. She stared at the ceiling for a couple seconds before releasing a hefty yawn.

Groggily, she threw her legs over the side and dangled them from the edge of her soft bed. "God how I wish I didn't have college today." she muttered.

Peering at the clock, she saw she had about 45 minutes before classes start. She headed to the bathroom and took care of her daily needs. 15 minutes later she emerged to quickly throw on some clothes. She opted for (outfit of choice) and stared into the mirror. After a minute of thinking, she nodded with a smile and headed off to the kitchen.

Grabbing her favourite cereal, a bowl and some milk, she began preparing her breakfast. Just at that moment, she heard a slight scuffle upstairs. Freezing, she tensed and listened in to see if she heard it again.

She did.

A barely audible sound of what sounded like footsteps nearing the steps. Before she could say anything, (Y/N)'s mom bounded down the stairs, giving (Y/N) a fright. "Mom?! I thought you were at work?" she yelped, clutching onto her shirt where her heart was.

(Y/N)'s mom gave her a look and chuckled, "Sorry for scaring you sweetheart, I had last minute schedule changes so I'm going out later than usual." (Y/N) huffed and continued making her cereal.

"Please don't wander around so silently next time mom! I almost died." she whined and sat down to eat her food. Shovelling down the food into her mouth, she sighed contently.

"Okay baby. Slow down you will choke!" her mom laughed lightly, patting her shoulder gently. "I'm going out now okay? Head out to college soon, don't be late!"

(Y/N) swallowed and faced her mom smiling, "Bye mom! Love you!" she heard a 'Love you too!' just before the front door closed. Picking up her empty bowl, she placed it into the sink and went to grab her jacket, shoes and bag.

Clumsily throwing everything on, she yanked open the front door only to scream abruptly.

"STEPH! WHAT THE FUCK!?"

Stephanie erupted into laughter, nearly keeling over as (Y/N) stared at her best friend in utter shock and disbelief. The fear subsided and an embarrassed look settled upon her face. "WOW YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN YOUR FACE! Why are you so jumpy today, girl?" Stephanie mustered out through giggles.

(Y/N) smacked her shoulder and huffed, "I don't know. My mom already scared me once and now you. It's so stupid. Let's just go Steph." Not letting Stephanie see her embarrassment anymore, she pushed past her and started walking off.

She could hear the crunching of leaves behind her as Stephanie caught up to her hurried pace. Conversation and laughter got carried along the wind as the two girls enjoyed their walk to college.

"Have you heard, (N/N)? What happened last night?" Steph questioned. At this (Y/N)'s ears perked up and intrigue filled her eyes.

"No what happened?"

"You know the Robinsons? They were murdered last night. All 4 of them." Stephanie informed. (Y/N)'s eyes widened in shock and her lips parted slightly. How unbelievable. A murder in this tiny place? There hasn't been a crime this big since about 20 years ago.

"No way.. have they caught the person who done it?" (Y/N)'s head spun with questions, intrigue and fear mixed together. Steph shook her head, "No unfortunately. It said they were all brutally gutted. Blood splattered walls and carved smiles. The work of someone truly psychotic that's for sure. Turn on the news later, maybe they will talk about it."

A slight silence overtook, the atmosphere feeling heavy, (Y/N) processed all this information and asked just one question, "Will it happen again?"

"I don't know. But for our sakes we better hope not. Small towns and serial killers don't mix well."

Huh. How interesting.