6: The Gun

(Y/N) enjoyed grocery shopping. It was one of those mundane tasks that didn't feel so mundane to her. She loved going through the aisles with an obnoxiously loud shopping cart that always had a faulty wheel, picking up all of her favourite foods and drinks. Music running through her ears, she reached the final aisle, scanning the shelves with her eyes. Seeing nothing that she really wanted she proceeded to check out.

Lazily and semi neatly she placed all of her items on the conveyor belt, before going to the front and greeting the employee. "Hi! How are you ma'am?" the cashier smiled politely. (Y/N) and the cashier engaged in small talk and in no time the (H/C) girl was out of the store and on her way home.

The walk home was cold and breezy, notifying the rapid approach of winter. Shivering slightly, a misty breath shot out of (Y/N)'s mouth and her (E/C) eyes fixated on the road ahead as she sped up slightly. Boots heavily crushing the leaves as she walked, she was unaware of the hooded figure about 30 feet behind her. From an outside perspective, it wouldn't look suspicious at all. Turning the corner, (Y/N) made it through the final stretch of the road, alone.

(Y/N) unlocked her front door and slammed it as she came in, not allowing the cold air to breach her warm interior. Flicking off her coat and shoes, she carried all of the groceries into the kitchen and took a quick break to turn on the TV, conveniently already on the news channel.

"3 more residents of Moonsboro have been slaughtered inside their humble homes, 2 of which were a married couple. As usual, gutted and accompanied by carved smiles. The police have dubbed the criminal as 'The Smiler'. No leads have been found yet and residents are growing panicked."

(Y/N) snorted. The Smiler? Really? Even a kid could come up with something better than that. Still, 3 more people have died. (Y/N) bit her lip but distracted herself with unpacking groceries and a movie.

2 more days have passed without incident. It was now Tuesday evening and (Y/N) was relaxing on the couch watching a movie. She lay as still as was humanly possible and kept her ears peeled. She knew he was watching her. Did he really think she was that stupid that she didn't see him from her living room window for the past 3 days? Or when he was following her the other day in that same goddamn white hoodie?

(Y/N) wasn't stupid.

She didn't know if this was 'The Smiler' or just some other freak but she didn't dare let him know she was aware of his presence. The fact he knew of hers was bad enough.

As the credits played, (Y/N) checked the time on her phone. 1am. Time for bed. Stiffly, she rose from her position on the couch and stretched exaggeratedly. Keeping her eyes focused on the stairs and not the man in the distance, she went around her couch and up the stairs. Seeing as she already showered earlier, she immediately closed the blinds and slid into bed. (Y/N) palmed around the gun under her pillow gently, the cold barrel bringing her comfort.

Eyelids drooping, she fell asleep.

"Tonights the night." A dark chuckle fell past his lips as he eyed the house in front of him. He didn't know why the girl in this house intrigued him so much. Maybe it was her naivety. Or maybe her carefree nature. He didn't know nor did he care. All he cared about was seeing her bright smile as he dragged his knife through her abdomen.

Swiftly, he slithered all the way up to the backdoor. Getting in was no problem. Smashing the window, he crawled through the opening before dusting himself off and grinning widely. Sharp eyes set themselves on the stairs.
Fingering the knife in his hoodie pocket, he trailed his way up to the stairs before pausing at the first door on the right.

Opening it, there was an empty bedroom. He moved on. Second bedroom. Nothing. He groaned quietly to himself and reached for the doorknob of the final room. He swung it open and to his surprise, before him there was a sight he wasn't at all expecting.

A gun pointed right at him.