16. Partners In Crime

River Lockhart

Me:
Thank you for letting me stay last night.

Officer Damian:
Sure.
Make up with your friend.

I smile at the text, wondering which emoji I should use to reply to it.

After having a coffee with him last night, I told him that I wanted to sleep without dinner as I was exhausted from the day's events. He insisted on having dinner, which Linda had made that would be enough for both of us. Plus, it was only 7 pm.

But I went to sleep. Which I regret now. I could've stayed longer with him.

Damn it.

Me:
(. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

He doesn't see my text.

I walk my way through the corridor toward my penthouse, where I enter the passcode. As I enter the penthouse, I remember Officer Damian's cosy little apartment, which I would love to visit again without anything pulling me down due to all the stress.

I see a huge difference even though I didn't even explore his place. His place was cosy, and I wouldn't get tired of living there, even for a month without going outside. Meanwhile, this large space is empty, plain and in order. I don't like it-

Why does it feel like there's someone else in the penthouse other than me??

I walk into the living room and find Lucas fast asleep on the couch. I just stare at him with an annoyed expression. I ignore his existence and start making myself a morning milk coffee. Lucas wakes up right then after hearing all the rattling sounds.

He quickly runs toward me, looking dishevelled and sleepless.

"I was waiting for you all night! Where were you??" he exclaims.

I ignore him and make my coffee.

"Hey! I am right here! Why do you act like you can't see me?"

I ignore him again.

"Listen. I know we had an argument, and I drove away, leaving you stranded. And then I kind of forgot that I left you at the mansion, which sure might've made you stay elsewhere. I am kind of an asshole for doing that to you." he quickly says.

I walk to the living room with my coffee and sit on the sofa facing the city scenario.

"Come on. You can't give me the silent treatment." Lucas sits in front of me on the coffee table, horribly blocking the beautiful view of the city, which is not really beautiful for me now because I've been seeing that every single day of my life.

"Piss off, Lucas. I am not in the mood." I mutter, taking a sip from my coffee.

"Dude. I am really sorry, okay? I reacted too much last night, but it kind of annoyed me-"

"You literally said you are friends with me because your dad asked you to, and you never wanted to be friends with someone as selfish as me! How bad is that??" I exclaim, finally losing it.

"It's not like that."

"Then what?? You said that yesterday with your own mouth! Well, if being my friend crushes your dreams of becoming a self-learnt businessman as you want to be, you should stop being my friend! I don't want to be the obstacle in your way-"

"It's not like that! I fucking said it's not!" he yells, taking me by surprise. He sends his hand through his dirty blond hair and stands up. Then he walks toward the window where he stands, looking outside for a good minute before turning to me.