12. Ask Out

River Lockhart

Ethan's eyes glue in a certain direction. I assume it's his special someone, Lucas, coming in our direction already, with what I asked him to bring when he comes this way: an Iced Americano.

"Here you go, you lazy idiot." Lucas keeps the drink in front of me with his usual gesture of using harsh words on me in a gentle way, cussing being his love language, I think. He places another Iced American in front of Ethan. "Yours."

"What?" I look at Lucas, surprised. "Did he order an Iced Americano too?" I ask in question.

"No. Since you don't like to share your drinks with anyone, I realised he should get one as well." Lucas points out the obvious before sitting next to me. Ethan, in front of me, turns red at the remark, and he delightfully sips on the drink.

"Wow. When did you become considerate?" I ask the actual question of the day with a little grin, already shipping the two of them when in reality, Lucas is straight as fuck.

"Hah. You don't know me yet." he says with a roll of his eyes before gasping, "I forgot!" he exclaims.

"What?" Ethan quickly asks.

"Madeline! I asked her out, and we are going out now! It happened yesterday evening, and I was all enthusiastic to tell you guys, but River, right here, placed an order for an Iced Americano before I could tell the whole thing!" Lucas exclaims.

"Oh.." I look down at my drink and stir it with my straw. I steal a glance at Ethan, who's managing a stoic expression, yet his eyes drooping in a certain way.

Lucas starts talking about how it went yesterday, and I start scrolling through my phone. Honestly, I would've been happy for him if it were another time. But seeing Ethan like this with a sullen expression after knowing that he has a super crush on Lucas... Gosh.

I knew it was all bad news.

I put my phone aside. Lucas is still in his one-sided conversation with Ethan.

I look around, and my eyes widen when I see none other than Officer Damian(again), a bit far from where we are. I quickly look at Lucas to see whether he saw Officer Damian because Lucas was there when I got the speeding ticket. But Lucas is too engrossed in complimenting Madeline's new hairstyle while Ethan listens to him like a dead corpse.

I leave them at it in haste to appear in front of Officer Damian, keeping in mind that I will return and save Ethan from his misery. I quickly go to see my Officer, who walks the other way, not seeing me. As I call his name, he stops and turns around.

"Oh! Fancy seeing you again, Rascal," he says with his lips twitching upward for a slight smile, which almost looks like a smirk.

"Not good! What's that name you use for me??" I ask while glancing in Lucas' direction only to see him still blabbering about his new girlfriend. Ethan motions me with his eyes to move away because Lucas might spot us at any moment. "W-what are you doing here?" I ask Officer Damian while stepping further down the corridor so the wall will hide us away from their vision.

"The same case," he says.

"Oh... Is it about Gregory?" I ask about the boy who recently committed suicide in my university. It is a pretty big deal, but no one really seems to be fazed about it.

His eyes take interest a little, "Do you know him?"

"Yeah. I've seen him a few times in the library and caught his name when I heard a rumour about him." I point out.

Officer Damian looks interested as he takes one step closer to me, "What kind of rumour?" he asks.

"Erm..." My lips immediately turn dry upon having his gaze on me, his whole attention on me, his being completely in front of me. I can literally feel his scent, the scent of a new uniform and a bit of floral detergent, along with his muscular scent. I breathe a big gulp of oxygen before looking aside with clenched fists.

He keeps on looking at me for a reply. One of my hands tugs at the hem of my shirt for mental support. I finally look up at him with a little bit of courage before licking my lips and moisturising the dryness of them so that I can speak with ease.

I feel a lump in my chest as if something's daring to come out when Officer Damian's eyes shift to my lips for a moment before moving back to my eyes as if upon a momentary realisation.

"What kind of rumour?" he asks again.

"Uh.. t-that he- he was involved with a professor... in a s-sexual kind of relationship to get better grades." I look at Officer Damian, and my eyes widen for a second, "But oh. I am only saying this because- because it might be useful if you are looking for any evidence not to put a stain on his profile! You better refrain from sharing it with anyone else!" I exclaim.

He blinks before nodding, "Tell me more about it if you have time."

I always have time for him...

He waits for a response, and I nod. But then I realise poor Ethan is stuck with Lucas. I know I can't leave him there like that. But- but it's Officer Damian in front of me, awaiting my help and waiting for me to say something! And it's my duty always to have his back as his future boyfriend! (only if he's gay and likes me back)

"I'll bring my bag. Wait a sec." I quickly say before running to my table.

I notice Lucas and Ethan engaged in a conversation about Manchester United. Lucas doesn't pay me any attention but goes through his phone to show this quality picture of the team he got from a fan last month. I spare a glance at Ethan, who gives me suspicious eyes.

I motion with my eyes toward Officer Damian, signing that I am going with him. Ethan gives me a confused look. I motion downward toward Lucas, pointing that Ethan should make an excuse for me. Ethan's eyes widen as he shows me with his eyes that he can't do anything. I plead with my eyes, with a silent promise between us that I will help him with Lucas any time he wants. Ethan rolls his eyes and shrugs a little. So I quickly take my belongings and scatter from there before Lucas gets a chance to question me regarding where I am going right now.

Officer Damian and I walk along the corridor in silence, and I realise this will be a good chance for me to get to know a few things about him and maybe get closer to him. I don't even know what I am thinking these days.

"Shall we go to a cafe?" I ask him.

He gives me a glance before shaking his head, "I am in my duty uniform."

"Ahh... bummer." Well, that's so disappointing but worth the try anyway.

"But that reminded me of something." he puts his hand in his pocket and pulls out a piece of paper. He holds it in front of me. I recognised it to be the ticket I wrote for him that day when he took a call while driving. "I still haven't paid my fine to you."

I don't know what surprises me the most. The fact that he kept that childish thing I wrote for him without just throwing it aside. Or the fact that he's asking me out for dinner. Or am I just delulu?

🌞💗📖