Chapter 37: Mapping the Unknown

Once I got home, I was excited to see everyone.

"I'm back!" I shouted.

No answer.

"Is everyone sleeping or something? All the vehicles are here." I grouched.

"Daniel's out with Bailey. She just got a car. Myles is here. He's probably sleeping." Desi said as she came downstairs and hugged me.

"Oh, okay. Have you eaten? I brought back some leftovers from my parents' house." I queried.

"Ooh, thank you. I was supposed to go to the mall with Zaiden, but his parents grounded him for not spending enough time with his brother." She groaned.

"How old is his brother?" I asked.

"He's twenty-two. And it wasn't even Zaiden's fault they didn't hang out. His brother, Zachary, was busy doing drugs and messing with girls, and after Zaiden found out about Daniel's addiction, he's become terrified of drugs, so he doesn't even want to be around Zachary." She explained.

"W-W-Well, that's unfortunate. Hopefully, you two can hang out another time or something." I sighed.

"At least we see each other at school." She muttered as she made herself a plate of food.

I went upstairs and slowly opened my door, since I assumed Myles was sleeping, but I saw he was awake, just staring at the wall.

"Myles?! Are you okay?!" I gasped.

"My parents just made me feel terrible about being waitlisted. They told me I was a failure, and that I didn't care about anything, a bunch of bullshit like that. I tried to explain to them that the school is actually an excellent school, so for me to be waitlisted is pretty cool. Then they told me I was an idiot for thinking that." He explained.

"Jeez, what the hell is wrong with them?! I'm so sorry about that, Myles." I sighed as I caressed his face lightly.

"It's okay. I don't know why I thought that telling them about this would go any better." He scoffed.

I felt bad. I was the one that convinced him that things would go well.

"Have you eaten today?" I asked.

He nodded, but I felt how squishy his stomach was.

"I'm not hungry. I'm just tired." He mumbled.

"Welp, you're going to eat something. Then I guess you can go to sleep." I sighed as I went to make him a plate.

Just as I was heading upstairs, Daniel and Bailey came.

"Oh, you're back, hey!" Daniel grinned lightly.

"Hey, yeah, I came in like ten minutes ago. Bailey, I heard you just got your first car, congrats." I beamed.

"Thank you, Essence." She giggled.

Okay, that's enough. I went upstairs and sat down next to Myles. I opened his mouth and carefully placed some food into his mouth.

"Ugh, who made this?" He gasped as he sat up.

"My parents. It's good. You're just used to your fancy food." I hissed.

"You're just used to mediocre food." He sneered.

"You're saying that as you continue to eat the 'mediocre' food." I teased.

He rolled his eyes as he continued eating.

"If you were to come on my trip, you would've tried to kill someone." I started.

"Who?! Why?! What happened?!" He gasped.