Chapter 9: Surprise!

~ Trigger Warning: Alcohol Abuse ~

In the morning, Daniel and I woke up first, as usual, and got ready for school. Syd and Eli eventually woke up. Something told me to go to the basement, and when I went, Dad was knocked out on the ground. The smell of alcohol filled the air. And the divorce papers were shredded up.

"D-D-Dad?" I stammered as I shook him a bit.

He was limp, but was breathing, and his pulse was steady. Then I heard footsteps behind me.

"Syd and your brother are in the shower together so we're probably gonna leave them or be late-- woah, is he okay?!" Daniel gasped.

"He's drunk, again. C-C-Can you help me bring him to the elevator? I'm not bringing him up those stairs." I explained.

"Sure." He replied.

We brought him to his room as I sighed.

"E-E-Essence? D-Daniel?! What the hell's going on?!" Dad barked as he sat up.

He then clutched his head and winced.

"You drank more last night. I found you in the basement, unconscious. Here, drink some water, I'll make something for you to eat. There's a bucket next to you if you get nauseous." I explained.

I then hurried out of the room. Daniel followed. I stayed silent as I cooked waffles, eggs, bacon, and a fruit salad.

"Woah, E, when'd you make all of this?" Eli asked as he entered while putting on his shirt.

"While you were busy fucking Syd in the shower." I mumbled.

Daniel snickered as he helped me make to-go plates for everyone, since we wouldn't have time to eat here at home. I quickly put a plate of food for Dad and headed to his room.

"Thanks, E, and I'm sorry I messed up again. I promise I won't." He groaned.

"I know you won't. 'Cause now every purchase you make with your card has to go through me first, and as for cash, that's hidden somewhere you'll never guess. You can't do shit." I sneered as I patted his head aggressively.

"Ouch." He hissed.

"Me and the others are heading to school. Eat, drink some water, call your sponsor again." I demanded.

"Shit! Dayveonne's supposed to come soon, and I'm an alcoholic mess." He whined.

"It's gonna be okay. I got you." I smirked.

"How'd I get so lucky to have a daughter like you?" He gushed.

"You didn't get lucky. My new motto is to be nothing like you and Mom, and that's what I'm doing." I sneered as I left the room.

We all left and headed to school. I brought food for the others, mainly because the eggs were expiring tomorrow, so I wanted to get rid of them without wasting them.

"Ooh, E, this is so good!" Aya gushed as she ate her food.

"Thanks." I giggled.

We all finished eating before first period started, and it was hard to focus, but I was trying. When class was over, my teacher told me to stay so she could talk to me. Usually Daniel walked me to my classes, so I texted him saying he didn't need to unless he didn't mind being late.

"I've noticed that you haven't been as attentive in class as usual. Now, you don't have to tell me what's going on, but just know there are always people you can talk to, and I'm one of those people you can trust. And you know, if you miss anything, I can record the lessons and email them to you, so you stay on track." She explained.