Chapter 4: Starting Over

Elijah's POV: The night he died

"I'm heading to her house right now. I'm lowkey kinda scared." I groaned.

"Don't be. She's using you to get to Essence. You don't deserve that bullshit." Manny comforted.

"You're right, man. I just hope shit don't go wrong. She's unpredictable at this point." I sighed.

"Be safe, bro." He chuckled.

"I will. I'll talk to you once I leave." I replied as I hung up the phone.

Just then, I approached Kori's driveway. Her mom wasn't home. She feared me because of my dad.

"Hey, baby." Kori grinned as she pulled me inside.

"Hey. L-L-Listen, we gotta talk." I started as I sat down on the couch.

"What is it?" She asked as she sat down next to me.

"... I know you're in love with my sister, and that you've been using me as a chance to get to her," I admitted.

"O-Oh." She replied.

" 'Oh'? That's all you gotta say?! Look, I'm obviously breaking up with you, but stay the hell away from my sister. She doesn't need someone like you." I snapped.

I'll be honest-- Kori wasn't the one I truly wanted to be with... She was a distraction at first, but then I started falling for her.

"Either I get to have her, or no one can, Eli." She smirked.

"W-W-What do you mean by that?" I stammered.

"It means one of you is gonna die. Which one?" She sneered.

"You're fucking crazy." I scoffed as I turned to leave.

Just then, I felt something shatter above my head. I was about to grab Kori, but then another blow to the head knocked me to the ground. I felt my body getting stiff, and everything froze. It was a seizure... I knew it. Everything moved so quickly yet so slowly and blurry. Then I heard Kori speak again.

"Good, you're dead. Now, time to plan on how to get my precious Essie. Ooh, that's such a cute nickname... Shit, I gotta drag this big ass body to the woods. Come on, Elijah." She giggled as she grabbed my legs.

Dead?! Shit, my pulse must've slowed down from the seizure. This has happened before, and usually in a few seconds, it normalizes. I started regaining control of my body and vision, but I played dead. She threw me into my car and drove to the woods, then left my body on the ground and a few glass shards, then she left.

Essence's POV: Once she wakes up

"Shit, my head is fucking pounding." I groaned as I sat up.

"Well, that's not a nice way to greet me." Elijah chuckled.

I froze as tears filled my eyes.

"E, breathe, it's okay." He grinned as he hugged me.

I hugged him back as I began sobbing. I felt so happy that he was here.

"Essence, let me explain what happened," He said.

"Okay," I replied.

He told me everything, and I felt more and more anger build up inside of me.

"I missed you so much." I gushed as I hugged him again.

"I missed you too. I didn't want to fake my death, but I wanted to protect you. You know you're my best friend." He sighed.

I nodded.