74. Copy Cat

Ages Aegon 13, Hela 11, Aemond 10, Vaera 9, Alyssa  almost 3

Alyssa was such a copy cat of Avalon. Every morning they made tea. Alyssa stirred her little cup with a spoonful of honey and watch her mum. Clink the spoon against the side take a sip suck the spoon free of remaining honey and stir some more. Alyssa copied her. Then getting dressed Alyssa always wanted to match Avalon.

"Blue one?"

"Green!" Alyssa corrected pointing at Avalons vibrant green dress.

"For you silly? Which one?"

"Green!" She shouted again. "Like you!"

They even ate the same breakfast. Ate the same way as well. Stirred with their right hand, poured the cream with their left, breathed in the steam, well Avalon breathed in the steam, Alyssa didnt drink hot tea. Avalon would mindlessly wipe any spillage from the table as Alyssa put down her little cream pot. Vaera and Aegon were playing footsie under the table when Jace and Luke came in sluggishly for breaking fast. They sat beside Aemond talking about their upcoming lessons right away. First borns and their roles. Avalon was proud of them. Jace would be lord of driftmark one day and Aemond was her heir. 

Alyssa copied Avalon as she waved to Jace and Luke as they came in before picking back up her drink taking a sip, her gaze shifting to Avalon's as Avalon's shifted to Alyssa beside her. 

"Criston, Harwin, Larys, please join us, plenty of food." Avalon requested seeing the brothers in the hall and Criston at the door. 

"Smells great." harwin was always too eager in Criston's mind to join in on the royal family. Criston hesitated. Larys glanced to his brother sitting beside his... sons. Larys nodded heading to the table, his steps slow and even compared to harwin's long fast strides. 

"Thank you for the invitation," Larys added taking a seat. 

"Of course, what brings you into the castle today Larys? Nothing bad I hope." Avalon remarked taking another sip before smearing jam over her bread. Alyssa copied her. Both girls popped their spoon in their mouth to get the remainder of the nut butter from it. Alyssa's eyes went wide sucking greedily trying to get every last drop while Avalon's spoon pulled free with a satisfied pop. 

Larys gaze was glued to her lips in that moment, how her tongue licked the corners of her lips while her hands busied themselves picking up her tea again. 

"Just checking in on my family." Larys offered. "And I wanted to offer the princess Rhaenyra and lord Laenor congratulations."

"Congratulations?" Avalon questioned looking to Jace and Luke but they were caught up talking to harwin, which she didnt mind. Harwin was a handsome man, he was an easy temptation but Rhaenyra should have known better. 

"I... maybe the whispers are wrong." larys offered softly. 

"Tell me anyways." Avalon requested as Alicent came in. 

"I heard they were pregnant again." Larys answered and Harwin choked on his food. Jace jumped up slapping a hand against his back. 

"Oh..." Avalon glanced to harwin. "I should offer congratulations. I had not realized." 

"I heard from Harwin." Larys remarked. 

"I didnt..." Harwin stumbled over his words. 

"You were mumbling brother but I heard you." larys corrected. "I heard a lot." Larys added with a smirk. Harwin went pale turning his cheek away. 

"I'm glad you joined us, Larys." Avalon agreed tapping his arm. Criston stifled a laugh looking between the brothers. 

"Can we get to training soon ser Criston?" Aemond questioned. 

"Of course my prince." Criston agreed. 

"I can take them." Harwin suggested. 

"You are busy... arent you?" Criston countered taking a sip of his tea before rising up. "Whenever you ready boys."

"I can-" Harwin objected.

"Congratulations are in order for the princess. I"m sure you want... tell her personally." Criston corrected. Avalon and Rhaenyra hadnt seen eye to eye in years but Harwin was always sweet on her.

"Yes, Harwin join me." Avalon agreed. "Excuse us, please stay and eat." She encouraged Larys. Alicent stared back at larys cautiously. He was a bit too obsessed with Avalon for her liking. But Avalon seemed to like Larys so Alicent didnt say anything. He just seemed shady too. Larys pulled his gaze from Avalon and looked to Alicent.

"Lovely weather we are having." Alicent offered. 

"Yes... lovely."

"I-"

"Lets not." Avalon countered. "Harwin you are the sweetest man." Avalon added as she grabbed his arm. "You are handsome and charming and I get it, I do." She assured. "But..."

"She's not my wife." Harwin agreed. 

"I would like her to take some responsibility, come to us and tell us these things. I would like her to make an effort with us and she would see that we are not the monsters she thinks we are." Avalon begged. "I doubt you could convince her. "

"She is set in her mind." Harwin agreed. 

"I dont know how you put up with her." Avalon murmured. 

"We dont really talk." Harwin mumbled. 

"That explains it. I open my mouth and she starts calling me a monster. No talking." Avalon mused. "Dont step on Laenor's toes. I know its easy to when hes off in the lower city but he hasnt left these boys. He hasnt been there for them as much as on might like but he didnt run off to fight like he could have. He is a skilled warrior same as you, harwin. He could be helping others realms with their wars but instead he stayed here for them. For Rhaenyra. Whether she likes it not..."

"I wont step on toes."

"You will stop visiting her alone too." Avalon instructed. "Let them have a chance." 

"It could be, for all I know." Harwin countered. 

"I suppose we just have to wait and see then." Avalon agreed stopping at the door before turning around. 

"You are not-"

"No. I said all I needed to say and if you listened to me at all you won't go in there either." 

"I'm so proud of you." Alyssa declared chasing after the servant. 

"Excuse me princess?"

"I'm so proud of you!" Alyssa shouted louder before coming to a stop before the woman. 

"F - for... what princess?"

"For cleaning my room. You are so nice." Alyssa answered.

"Oh..." it was the woman's job to clean, she was never thanked for it except for Avalon. It would make sense her daughter was just as sweet. "You are so welcome, Princess." 

Alyssa nodded running back to her room and promptly throwing all her toys out of the toy bin to try and find the one she was looking for which of course was at the bottom of the bin because thats how it always went. Alyssa snuggled her wolf toy from Cregan close as she looked around at the mess she made. 

"Well that didnt last long..."