16. Strength

'It's only been half a year since my mother died, and already they tried to marry my father off and replaced Avalon as heir. I know those men and how they plot in their secret councils when I've been sent away.' Rhaenyra muttered.

"You cannot worry at the matters of lords and kings, Rhaenyra." Alicent reminded her, hesitantly she kept going. "What if your father were to remarry?" Rhaenyra stared at her disgusted by the thought. 'Your father loves you."

"Does he?" Rhaenyra sassed.

"Kneel with me. I find this is a way to be with my mother. Here in the quiet of the Sept... I feel close to her. I know it sounds foolish." Alicent remarked.

"I don't think it's foolish." Rhaenyra told her and Alicent looked at her in disbelief. "I don't." she confirmed.

"Good... because I thought you might try. I... If not for me, then, perhaps for them." and Rhaenyra let out a long sigh.

"What do I say?" Rhaenyra pondered.

"Whatever you wish. It's only for you and the gods to know." Alicent reminded her.

"I want him to see me as more than his little girl." Rhaenyra admitted.

"Mine own father does not know the language of girls either." Alicent informed her making Rhaenyra chuckle. "I heard Avalons father did not know how to talk to her either." Rhaenyra found it strange for just the fraction of a moment that she said Avalon and not princess avalon. Alicent was always one for titles and manners.

'When I wish to talk with him... I know that I must make the effort." Rhaenyra remarked pushing the thought from her mind.

Avalon watched from the back of the sept, perhaps she was wrong, but something was off about Alicent. The normally bright and happy young woman was more tense and distraught lately, or perhaps it was otto trying to use his daughter as a pawn in this game. Could otto be so creul?

+

'Your Grace.' Corlys said as he approached Viserys and Avalon. 'Excuse us princess if I might have a word alone with the king.'' Corlys said it like a suggested but his face glared down at her suggesting it was not a request but a demand.

'Of course.' Avalon said softly as Viserys kissed her cheek. She turned back to them curiously as she left them.

'I'm glad we could meet. I know tempers ran hot today, and I wanted to assure you how much I value the bond between our houses. Rhaenys is my favorite cousin after all.' Viserys told him.

"I wish to apologize for the tenor at the Small Council today, Your Grace. It was not my intent to make offense." Corlys assured.

"Your fleet is one of the realm's most important assets, Lord Corlys. But you must understand, as King, it is my obligation to avoid war until such time it is unavoidable." Viserys reminded him.

'None among us desire open war." Corlys agreed. "Might I speak plainly, Your Grace?" Corlys questioned hesitantly.

"I always welcome the unfettered thoughts of my council." Viserys agreed.

"I fear that the eyes of our enemies are presently fixed on the Red Keep. The Queen has passed. A girl has been named heir to the Iron Throne, the first in its history."

"Avalon is a young woman. Bright and smart. She will do well." Otto assured him.

"The King's brother, so disinherited," corlys pushed on annoyed "-has claimed the Targaryen seat on Dragonstone without challenge. And now, a foreign power has established a colony in our most critical shipping lane." Corlys remarked.

"You paint such an aspirant portrait of my reign, Lord Corlys." Viserys said trying to keep his tone light and not bitter.

"It is an honest one, cousin. At the moment, The Crown is perceived as being vulnerable." Corlys told him

"And a blind incursion in the Stepstones is the only way to demonstrate that we are not?" Viserys countered.

"To elude a storm, you can either sail into it or around it. But you must never await its coming." Corlys told him.

"Do you have a specific course of action to propose, my lord?" Viserys questioned.

"Join our families. Wed our daughter, Laena." Corlys told him and Viserys face pinched. Laena was a child. Younger then his own rhaenyra. "Unite the two great surviving Valyrian houses. With the Targaryen dragons and the Velaryon fleet bound in blood, you can show the realm that The Crown's strongest days are ahead... not behind." Viserys couldn't look at him he turned the room, trying to maintain his composure.

"I must admit... I haven't given marriage much thought. It hasn't even been half a year since Aemma passed." Viserys reminded him.

" The realm expects you to take a new wife soon or late, Your Grace, to strengthen your line and produce more heirs. You could not ask for a stronger match than Laena." Corlys reminded him. Or a younger match, Viserys thought. He withheld the urge to roll his eyes.