38. Dragon Songs

"I wanted to be the one to tell you." ALicent declared. 

"Are you excited?" Avalon couldnt tell. Alicent shrugged. 

"We all know Aegon loves you more than me." Alicent remarked. "This one will surely be the same way." 

"Nonsense!" Avalon declared hugging her. "Aegon loves you." Alicent cocked her head in return. "He does! But you know full well I give the best snuggles." 

"You do." Alicent admitted when Otto came up. 

"Daughter, Princess."

"Hello, Otto. You heard the good news?" Avalon questioned. 

"Yes, what joy. Hopefully another boy." Otto agreed. 

"Oh a little girl just like Alicent would be lovely." Avalon corrected. "A matching set, a boy and a girl!"  

Otto didnt know what to think of Avalon, she clearly adored Alicent and Aegon but Avalon was the heir. Otto hoped that when Aegon got older Viserys would see that Aegon should be king, a man needed to be the heir. 

But their friendship for now would work in Otto's favor. 

"I am so happy!" Avalon declared leaning into Alicent. 

"I'm happy for different reasons." Alicent murmured into her. Avalon giggled in return. 

"I'm happy for you Alicent, I'm glad to see you have a... friend the princess Avalon." Otto added. Alicent nodded slowly, as she linked her arm with Avalon's. 

"Come." Avalon requested leading alicent along. "You know I remember when I was little and viserys read me stories..." Avalon smiled to herself. "Sung me songs... I hope its a little girl..."

~

Viserys didnt have a lovely singing voice but avalon had still liked Viserys to sing her to sleep anyways.

''I'm a little dragon, strong and stout. Here is my tail and here is my snout. If I get upset, you better watch out! I'll roar, and shout, and stomp about."

Avalon giggled into him. Viserys didn't have a good voice, Daemon did, but Avalon always wanted Viserys to sing her a song at night and tell her a story.

"Another one!" She declared.

"You don't look very tired." Viserys remarked.

"I can pretend." Avalon assured laying back down.

"It's late little love, big day tomorrow."

"Another one, please Vis!" Avalon begged and Viserys could never say no to her. "A story, please a story!" Avalon requested she had mastered the pout and dragon eyes.

~

"Should we sing you to sleep?" Avalon questioned putting Aegon down. "I'm a little dragon, strong and stout. Here is my tail and here is my snout. If I get upset, you better watch out! I'll roar, and shout, and stomp about."

Aegon smiled reaching up for her. 

"You are so good with him." Alicent remarked through a tried breath. 

"You are too." Avalon assured. 

"No, he loves you most." Alicent corrected. "I just... I'm not mad, I'm glad he loves you so much because I know he is safe with you."

"He is always safe with me." Avalon assured. 

"I just wish I could parent as easily as you do." Alicent remarked. 

"Oh, i'm the fun aunt," Avalon countered. "I swoop in with sugar and kisses and hand him back." she mused. 

"You do not, you do so much for him. I'm so grateful to you." Alicent declared holding her hand. 

"I'm grateful to you. You make me feel alive again." Avalon assured. "And this little boy needs a dragon song from you." 

"I dont know any dragon songs." Alicent countered. Avalon rooted her hands on her hips. 

"Well thats the problem." Avalon decided. "You are raising a dragon, you need to know all the dragon songs."

"That will fix everything?" Alicent teased. 

"One hundred percent."